Gars anyone

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
you could feasibly try any of the Lepisosteus genus gars in colder water, longnose, shortnose, spotted, and even Florida (introduced) have been found in areas where the water gets pretty cold. i definitely wouldn't risk it with a Cuban or tropical gar; an alligator gar could probably do ok though.

i have always been a huge fan of gars and have kept several (and currently all 7 species); i listed mine in a different thread already. i'm currently keeping 13 gars in various tanks. i'll try to dig up some pics to post; for now, here is a video of a crocodile gar (shortnose x alligator hybrid) and Florida gar eating...

Croc Gar Feeding

--solomon

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
I have seven silver Hujeta. Just love em. I think they should be kept in groups of at least six. Makes a big difference in their behavior.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
AlaskaJammin said:
I have seven silver Hujeta. Just love em. I think they should be kept in groups of at least six. Makes a big difference in their behavior.
how so? do they beg for food and stuff more, or less shy, or what?

slavezer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Manila, Philippines
www.ahbcoe.tk
AlaskaJammin said:
sir, where they currently place? tank size? filtration? their actual size? etc etc.
do you have a pic?

currently, i'm housing 2ctenolucius hujeta(silver hujeta) around 2-2.5inch of length.
will relocate to 75gal soon.

shovelnose

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Central Jersey
www.5acrossinc.com
picked up my first gar and an Ornate bichir on friday (after talking myself out of an arampima) it's a florida Gar and it's growing fast ... I love the shark aquarium. :drool:

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
I have them in my 210 gallon. When I combined them all from my various tanks they started schooling together and eating a lot more. They actually dominate the 5 spot jewels and jurapari I have in the rest of the tank. When threatened they line up across the tank in a perfect formation with there beaks pointed at the harraser. They range from 12 to 8 inches. Ill try to get a picture online.

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
I laso have seven differnt bichirs, a tiger-shovel nose, and two orange pike in that tank. Its a pre-drilled tank with two 40 gallons sumps. They eat a lot.

slavezer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Manila, Philippines
www.ahbcoe.tk
AlaskaJammin said:
I laso have seven differnt bichirs, a tiger-shovel nose, and two orange pike in that tank. Its a pre-drilled tank with two 40 gallons sumps. They eat a lot.
sir, can u post pic of your orange pike? i'm keeping this fish also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store