Geophagus Questions

Dego510

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2009
Addison, IL
Hey everyone,

I have a bunch of questions.

I have a 125G with 5 WC Geo Red Head Tapajos that are approx 4.5". Tankmates include a breeding pair of Koi Angelfish, 8 Roseline Sharks, and 2 BN plecos. I'd like to add a bigger fish to the tank. Maybe a bigger Geophagus? Or maybe even a different species. Any recommendations?

I've been feeding mostly NLS with krill as a treat once a week. Is NLS fine as a staple food?

Last question . . . How can I get the Red Heads to breed? Water changes with increase or decrease in temp of new water?

Thanks,

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone,

I have a 125G with 5 WC Geo Red Head Tapajos that are approx 4.5". Tankmates include a breeding pair of Koi Angelfish, 8 Roseline Sharks, and 2 BN plecos. I'd like to add a bigger fish to the tank. Maybe a bigger Geophagus? Or maybe even a different species. Any recommendations?

I've been feeding mostly NLS with krill as a treat once a week. Is NLS fine as a staple food?

Last question . . . How can I get the Red Heads to breed? Water changes with increase or decrease in temp of new water??

Thanks,

mrrobxc mrrobxc

Last edited:

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey everyone,

Last question . . . How can I get the Red Heads to breed? Water changes with increase or decrease in temp of new water?

Thanks,
If you add something let it be a new species. I would avoid mixes species of geos in general. To get them to breed they need clean, warm water. They will handle the rest and often at that. My group spawns at least once per month but ray pups get the eggs. It's should be rather easy for you get them going once they settle in.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Agree with JK47 JK47 . Might want to look at a heros species.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Heros are a nice complement to geos ime, also kept mine with wild angelfish-- the (rotkeil) sevs and angels got along fine for me. As far as breeding, they're not difficult ime-- clean water, NLS is good, water temps in the upper 70s to low 80s, my pH is @7.6, and a couple of flat rocks for spawning all worked for me. Ime they'll pick smooth, flat rocks over other types on which to lay eggs. I found that treats of freeze dried (not frozen) blood worms also seemed to encourage spawning.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have my rotkiels in with plants. No issues at all. I have them with anubias, java fern. And vallisnera.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your red heads may already be breeding, but with other fish in the tank like barbs and angels, the fry may be disappearing before you get a chance to see them. If you don't really care about keeping fry, then no big deal.
When my Geo altinfrons spawned, and they were very secretive, they would regularly pass eggs and fry back and forth for one to mouth brood, allowing each to feed separately. But other fish in the tank would pick off young during the exchange, until none were left. Not until I separated the mated pair to its own tank, was I able o keep fry.
Waiting until a pair forms, then giving them their own tank has worked well for me with many Geophagines. And then removing the male back to the community when fry are free swimming, because he can get pushy after a while.
[/URL[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/geogymno/yerbalito%20fry/002.jpg.html][/URL]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store