Going down the poly worm hole…

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
$195 from Predatory fins for PBB was a “moderate” price i feel lol… i paid $295 for the 1st one from them sadly. Seems they lower the price on stock after it sits for a few weeks so keep that in mind if u do order from them. Well worth the price tho IMO… the PBB are super active compared to my endli and lapraedi. They cruise mid to top level of the tank most of the day where as the others just hug the bottom.
Predatory fins is sold out of PBB. My luck. I want 3. I will keep checking back with them. Not sure what the season is for these imports? Hopefully soon. Receiving fish in the summer in Phoenix is bad.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Predatory fins is sold out of PBB. My luck. I want 3. I will keep checking back with them. Not sure what the season is for these imports? Hopefully soon. Receiving fish in the summer in Phoenix is bad.
Wild bichirs like PBB don't really come in often. Mainly because theres no real market for bichirs. I believe that was their first time importing PBB though. There is a vendor selling a 28"-30" one for $2k though.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Wild bichirs like PBB don't really come in often. Mainly because theres no real market for bichirs. I believe that was their first time importing PBB though. There is a vendor selling a 28"-30" one for $2k though.
That’s crazy. Not interested. I will grow out my own 😎

• Haha
Reactions: Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
That’s crazy. Not interested. I will grow out my own 😎
Totally understandable. Just a FYI, the reason why large bichirs prices jump so much compared to their smaller counterparts is majority of the bichirs raised in captivity almost never reach the big sizes that people catch from the wild. Also bichirs grown out in captivity usually don't look as nice as the ones grown out in the wild (in terms of headshape/body shape but of course, that's all preference).

Reactions: tlindsey

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Totally understandable. Just a FYI, the reason why large bichirs prices jump so much compared to their smaller counterparts is majority of the bichirs raised in captivity almost never reach the big sizes that people catch from the wild. Also bichirs grown out in captivity usually don't look as nice as the ones grown out in the wild (in terms of headshape/body shape but of course, that's all preference).
That’s interesting. I have 4 captive breed Endi’s. Got them with their external gills still on about 10 years ago. They are a foot. I have a wild caught Endi for about a year. It was also a foot when I got it. Now it’s 18”. And it’s easily three times thicker around.
I agree with what you said above. Didn’t realize I knew what you said was true until you said it. Good info Hao. Thank you.

Reactions: Hao and tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Been a while…small update…Not much change in color. Total of only 6 now… had to ditch the CB endli… couldn’t stand looking at its wonky head 😂💀… 3 PBB, 2 Lap, 1 endi…

Not so patiently been waiting to get these guys into my 500g. Have a catfish for sale since August no1 will buy 🤦‍♂️… killin me lol…
These guys are pretty flighty in the 5’x3’, def. Need the 10’ to stretch out more.

18A77EDB-AD1A-4765-A2EF-E8193E96AA0F.jpeg98B4AFEE-1443-4A66-9D60-A9EA45AC53CF.jpegB07FF258-39A7-4DF2-B5E3-69284CDFE6A3.jpeg6277186F-311C-4619-B749-8204C8839DBD.jpeg5B950048-96B7-48F7-8D34-8D41BEE99F9F.jpeg

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
wednesday13 wednesday13 I didn’t even know you keep bichirs. The tank I am working on is also for my bichirs. You actually don’t need a 10 ft tank for them. Bichirs will just pile in one corner or side. The only time I see them out more is when I add in manzanita DW for them to hide.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wednesday13 wednesday13 I didn’t even know you keep bichirs. The tank I am working on is also for my bichirs. You actually don’t need a 10 ft tank for them. Bichirs will just pile in one corner or side. The only time I see them out more is when I add in manzanita DW for them to hide.
Still fairly new to the bichir game… one species i never really dedicated a tank too in all my yrs so im givin it a shot… just wish the ones i like wernt so expensive lol…
Surprisingly my PBB are very active. There always out cruising mid level and pestering the laps a bit. The endli is really the only one who hides in the corner most of the day.
Ive noticed there all a bit “flighty” tho… they dont really like me around the tank too much during feeding or even getting too close. They’ll rocket off and hit the tank walls sometimes. Tank is 230g 5’x3’x2’… i think even a 6’ tank might calm them down a bit.
Honestly expected them to be a bit more placid and pile up like others say but thats not the case for my small group of 6. Maybe i need more to spread the aggression a bit lol…
Plan to move them to my 10’ 500g regardless in time and use the 230g as a growout. Wanna see how big i can get these PBB. Hoping they grow a bit quicker in a larger tank even tho i know there slow growing in general.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Still fairly new to the bichir game… one species i never really dedicated a tank too in all my yrs so im givin it a shot… just wish the ones i like wernt so expensive lol…
Surprisingly my PBB are very active. There always out cruising mid level and pestering the laps a bit. The endli is really the only one who hides in the corner most of the day.
Ive noticed there all a bit “flighty” tho… they dont really like me around the tank too much during feeding or even getting too close. They’ll rocket off and hit the tank walls sometimes. Tank is 230g 5’x3’x2’… i think even a 6’ tank might calm them down a bit.
Honestly expected them to be a bit more placid and pile up like others say but thats not the case for my small group of 6. Maybe i need more to spread the aggression a bit lol…
Plan to move them to my 10’ 500g regardless in time and use the 230g as a growout. Wanna see how big i can get these PBB. Hoping they grow a bit quicker in a larger tank even tho i know there slow growing in general.
bichirs do better in group of 10+ with hiding spots. Dimming the lights will help them not being too flighty (darting). Try not to stick your hand in rearranging decors often. They don’t like that. They will eat smaller tankmates at night which is why I have a night light to lessen the chances. I bulk up my bichirs feeding tilapia.
My bichirs in a 150 wide

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
bichirs do better in group of 10+ with hiding spots. Dimming the lights will help them not being too flighty (darting). Try not to stick your hand in rearranging decors often. They don’t like that. They will eat smaller tankmates at night which is why I have a night light to lessen the chances. I bulk up my bichirs feeding tilapia.
My bichirs in a 150 wide
Love it, great collection u have! Appreciate the tips. I’ll get more drift wood and add to the bichir pile when i get some extra cash… Congicus have been on my mind lately anyway lol… i used to offer shrimp once a week along with pellets. They started refusing the shrimp tho and have been on pellet only for a few months now. I’ll have to try adding in tilapia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store