Golden puffer

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
Okay- I set up a little 10 gal brackish tank, planning to get a green spotted puffer, and came home with what I have ID'd now as a GOLDEN puffer, Chonerhinos modestus- all I can find via internet is that is'freshwater', they get about 4 inches, and feed in insects, shrimp, and seeds, and are aggressive.

anyone ever keep these? is it brackish or fresh water? What kind of SEEDS do they eat? Water parameters??????

so far, I tried to feed it guppies, and it's not interested yet, but it's only been a day. It seems skittish so far.

any suggestions would really be appreciated- I don't want to kill it before it has a chance to survive.

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
it realyl wont matter if its brackish or not. its actually better if u put a lil salt into the tank. if u read the fresh water salt box. it says its stress relief and its better for the fish or something. and also wes told me that too. a teaspoon per 5 gallons or somethign

most fish coudl eat almost anythingthat seems resonable u just need to starve it a lil to make it eat that

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Usually a tablespoon per 5 gal helps fish fight diseases and helps with gill function. I have heard that a lot of freshwater puffers actually do well in brackish and some even in salt, but this would depend on where they originated from and what their norm is. Some in the wild go back and forth but I'm sure there are acceptions. I'm not familiar with the Golden's so hopefully someone else here can give you more advice! :)

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
I use FW aquarium salt regularly in my tanks. For this one I put at least two tablespoons per galloin, b/c/ I was aiming to make it light-brackish. So far the puffer's fins look fine, and the skin is still shiny, eyes still bright.

okay, so what I read says they come from riverine environments in Asia: Thailand, Vietnam, etc
I currently have it in the tank I set up for the green puffer, so it's salty enough to taste ( I'm very specific, I know) temp is about 78*F, high alkalinity and high dH. There are still guppies in there, so if it was TOO salty, the guppies wouldn't look so good, I'm assuming. I'm worried about this guy being "riverine"- to me that means high tannins and acidic water rather than alkaline.

Last night it was very active, and explored all the spaces in the tank, and tried each corner for a while I guess to see if it could go further. I offered it frozen krill, but at least while I was watching, it didn't eat. It did however, react to my presence, so I believe if I can keep it alive, it'll be a very fun and personable fish!

today I took about a gallon of water out and exchanged it with water from my geophagus tank.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
You might be having a hard time finding information on that species because your scientific name is not up to date!! I am at work so I have no referance, but I believe it is Auriglobus Modestus, also known as the Bronze Puffer, Avacaldo Puffer, Bottleneck Puffer, or Emerald Puffer.

If my memory serves correctly, this is a pure FW species. Im sure it would benefit from some Salt content in the water, but it is definately far from brackish. I am unsure how it would react to a higher hardness and pH, but most puffers are very adaptable. Regardless, I would reccomend FW salt as oppose to marine salt.

http://www.pufferlist.com/ Has some good basic info on them. Auriglobus Modestus was correct ;)

They are very active open water swimmers, and I would reccomend eventually upgrading the tank. Give lots of hiding spots and broken lines of sight to keep him entertained and prevent 'glass pacing' in the corners of the tank. Most puffers are very skittish, especially in small tanks. I have a Figure-8 Puffer who has an entire 29g tank to himself, with tons of decor, and still darts around the tank when I walk up to it. Give him more cover, and they will feel more comfortable and less skittish. Basically try to 'overcrowd' his tank with decor to the point where you can barely see the back of the tank.

As far as feeding, once he gets settled in, it should be no problem. Stay away from smaller foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp(messy), and stick to meatier foods like Krill and Silversides. Giving him ghost shrimp, will not only be entertaining for him, but for you too. I would even attempt to give him some small FW crabs (declawed) when he gets used to feeding regularly. When he gets hungry, he WILL eat.. You might have to put the shrimp or krill on a chopstick and dangle it in his face though. I enjoy using freeze-dried krill for my puffers because its crunchy and it floats.

and YES, it does matter if its brackish or not. Ignorance like this has killed thousands of puffers, and even though they can endure brackish conditions for a short time, long-term health is the major issue here. There are only 3 or 4 species that belong in true brackish water (marine salt, not FW salt), which would be T. Nigroviridis, T. Fluviatilis, and T. Bioccelotus(GSPs/F8s), the other few species that are brackish are very uncommon in the aquarium trade.. (Fugus, Juvie Marine puffers, etc.. You would know, as the price would reflect its rarity)..

Hope that helps, and good luck!

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
thanx Miles. I can't keep up with species name changes....

I can easily change the water parameters, and I should be able to move it up to at least 29g soon. More decorations are on the way. Snails also- would mystery snails work?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Most snails work.. Just stay away from the trumpet snails, they are too hard for most puffers to break open, and they could actually chip a beak!

Make sure the snails are nice and small.. Ive found that if you throw in some BIG snails and let them reproduce, the Puffers will just eat the young when they get to optimal size.. You end up always having the large parents, but the youngins always get gobbled up.

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
SO yesterday when I got home from work, I offered Hercules a cricket, and he gobbled it up! I then waited an hour or so, and moved my little tanks around, so I now have the puffer in a 15g. I still have salt in there, but only at FW levels. I overcrowded it as much as I could stand with plants, rocks, and driftwood. After Hercules was introduced into that tank, he was exploring within an hour, and I fed him another cricket! I think he likes it!

how many crickets should he get at a time? It seems like his belly fills up pretty fast. One cricket had him looking prego-

thanx for the advice Miles!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store