Green Terror growth rate

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I've had a super nicely colored very active Green Terror for almost a year now. He's only about 4-5" in a 45 gallon with a couple silver dollars as back round dithers. I was wondering what the growth rate is on GT's? How long would it take for him to double or triple in size in this environment? I run one Aquaclear 70, and do 25% water change every 2 weeks, his diet is krill, and Hikari large pellets twice a day?

Sabidojr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
They grow slow as compared to most other SA/CA. Im growing out my first one which Ive had for a little over a month and hes put on about half an inch.

I did do a LOT of research on growth before getting him and general info seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month.

Your growth seems to be right on track. I do 25% W/Cs twice a week and feed twice a day just like you.

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
They are relatively slow growers but if you want to boost his growth rate give him massive water changes nothing will boost growth rate like clean water and a good diet. But be careful what you wish for because that 45 gallon tank is to small for for an adult GT and some silver $.

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I was wondering what the growth rate is on GT's? How long would it take for him to double or triple in size in this environment?
Green Terrors can commonly get to be about 8"-9"...with them uncommonly getting up to 12". So expecting your's to triple in size may be expecting a bit much (double maybe...but not triple).;)

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Your tank is too small, under filtered and water changes are far too infrequent and of far too little volume. You are also over feeding. Once a day is plenty for any common cichlid over a year old. Every 2nd day is better, gives the fish a chance to digest and process its feed. A bigger tank, twice weekly 50% or more water changes will increase dramatically your GT's chances of reaching its potential

Reactions: Jexnell

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I wouldn't call those I've had slow growers. Easy six inches in a year, 8,9 inches in two years or so ime (males). Long term, I've never kept them in smaller than a 75, though. (I've had some I started out in a 50 at an inch or two size)

I'm in the middle ground as far as feeding. Generally just once a day, an occasional skip, but there's no real necessity to regularly skip days ime. It's more of a personal option/opinion/preference than a necessity to skip days. It's true that overfeeding can actually slow growth. Except fry, twice a day may be a bit much, unless they're light feedings-- but for most fish it comes down to feed quality and total feed intake as much as schedule.

But, yeah, I'd do more in the way of water changes if it was me.

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
My 45 G. is too small for a 4" GT?? Suprd71, I'm sorry but a 45 G. tank is not even close to being too small for a 4" cichlid!?! I understand the growth rate now thanx for the help guys. In a year or 2 I may move him to a bigger tank, but I'm fairly certain that the 45 will do for the time being.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Fish size does not relate to needed tank space. Territorial cichlids require proper room, even when small. This is why you always stock a tank according to adult fish size. Stress from overcrowding and lack of space is a major health issue for territorial cichlids. 45 is not critical small, but with 2 SD in there you have less than 15gals of useable volume per fish. Would you keep any of these fish alone in a 15g tank? Another side note.. SD are a schooling fish and do best in groups of 5 or more. As a pair with another cichlid, they too will be stressed from not being kept as they should.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store