Green Terror in 55-Gallon

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! For those of you following my "Gutsy Mix, Can it Be Done?" threads, I've decided what kind of fish I want for my final iteration of the tank. I know I have an Oscar pup right now, but once I get rid of it (if I can get rid of it, that is lol), I think I want a green terror.

What size should I get a green terror at? Should I try to find an adult (maybe show quality?) or get a young buck and watch him grow? I was thinking about getting an adult or close to an adult, but I don't know where to find one (and I'm not ordering online, only in person). What is the average price I should expect to pay for a larger specimen? 50? 100? 200? I'm willing to save up some cash for it as I have plenty of time in advance.

Also, what tank mates would be suitable in a 55-gallon? As usual, I'm holding on to my precious striped raph, but I'm wondering if I could stuff another type of catfish or another striped raph. I'm taking a gander that I can't put much in there with it since it will fill up most of the space, but I don't want just 1 or 2 fish if I can help it, even if 1 is an impressive glass buster.

Finally, what decor and lighting should be in the tank? I need something in there for my catfish, and I want the tank to look nice. Should I do a 3D background or some cool DIY project like that?

Sorry that was a lot. Lol. Thank you for y'all's help!

P.S. I made a new thread cause I thought it would be easier to follow and also be easier for anyone else who wants to pursue the same path as me with this setup.

Reactions: AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think threads are easier to follow if you keep them together. That is why they are lots of related posts threaded together.
Well to late for that now, I don't know how to link them or anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
An 55 is really not enough space for an adult GT.
Best to start with a juvie, and then at @ 5" upgrade ro a larger tank.
My rule of thumb, for proper sizing of a cichlid tank, is 10 gallons per inch.
Of course sometimes (territorially speaking), even 10 gallons per inch is not sufficient.
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade. Isn't a Green Terror smaller though (around 8-10 mark, but can max out 12 inches)? I thought some of y'all mentioned that a Green Terror would be better for my 55-gallon? It should be fine if it's by itself with one other smaller catfish, right?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One of the greatest challenges in this hobby is self control, and learning to work within your limitations. Some folks learn this early on (after a few failures), others never seem to figure it out.

Lots of cichlids to choose from that would be far better suited to a 55 gallon footprint.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I don’t think I ever saw a 12” green terror, can you keep one in a 55 for life? Yes would it be better in a 100 gallon? Yes would it be better in a 1000 gallon pool? Yes…just do what you think, we are keeping fish in a glass box not solving world peace 😂😂😂

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I don’t think I ever saw a 12” green terror, can you keep one in a 55 for life? Yes would it be better in a 100 gallon? Yes would it be better in a 1000 gallon pool? Yes…just do what you think, we are keeping fish in a glass box not solving world peace 😂😂😂
Yeah, I agree with that, lol. All the resources (and I've gone through a TON) said that a Green Terror can go in a 55-gallon. It would be better in something larger as any fish would be, but for me, I can't do anything larger than a 55.

I know y'all want me to get something like an electric blue acara, convicts, and other smaller cichlids, but most of those aren't really appealing to me. Here is my other option, I could do a Jack Dempsey. Those stay smaller. They are my second choice, but I like the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and I've seen them in person a lot. What do y'all think?

If I did do said EB JD, how should I set the tank up? Lighting? Decor? etc.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Wild type blue acara looks a lot like a green terror.
That said, ebjd is going to be the most suitable of all the cichlids you’ve wanted. They are rather delicate compared to their wild type counterpart, but since they cap at 6-8 inches iirc it would be doable in a 55.
They aren’t really picky for decor and lighting, just keep it bright enough where you can see but the fish will still feel comfortable and not exposed. All that matters with decor is ensuring that the fish can hide but still swim around. Naturally jacks come from areas that are mostly sand and rock scaped.
Wild type Jack is far hardier, but having kept one in a 55 for almost 4 years and growing it to 8-9 inches, I would never wish that upon another fish. The difference is night and day in its behavior since I’ve moved it to a 125. Rather than stay in one spot all day he actually cruises the tank.
If an Oscar in your tank is like an elephant in your living room, a gt or a Jack Dempsey is like keeping a rhino in there.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, I agree with that, lol.

Of course you do. Lol Yes a GT can go in a 55, as can an Oscar in a 75, or a Red Devil in similar cramped conditions. I'm quite certain all of those scenarios have played out millions of times over the years. I've certainly seen my share. But before you rush out and do something based on a single somewhat supportive comment, re-read Deadeye Deadeye 's comment above a few times, and perhaps the lesson some kind folks are attempting to teach you will sink in.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store