Hello from Nova Scotia

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller here from Canada’s east coast.

But of a strange situation, but I’ve only kept nano tanks in the past - but have been given the blessing to establish a 300 gallon tank in the basement as part of an overall renovation project.

While I’m not a beginner to fishkeeping, a project of this magnitude is way, way beyond anything I’ve done before. So I’m here hoping to find information on appropriate sump construction and plumbing, waterproofing for a large tank, and for any ideas on how to avoid any major problems before moving forward.

Cheers!

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
Hi from a fellow Canuck (Ontario). First order of business is to make sure the 300g tank is well built from a builder with an excellent reputation.

300g of water on the floor is no joke. even if it is in a basement.

Don't get a marineland 300g Deep Dimension tank. They are notorious for blowing the bottom seals and flooding houses.

The google search is brutal:

that being said, they have had so many problems with them they may not even be made anymore.

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi from a fellow Canuck (Ontario). First order of business is to make sure the 300g tank is well built from a builder with an excellent reputation.

300g of water on the floor is no joke. even if it is in a basement.

Don't get a marineland 300g Deep Dimension tank. They are notorious for blowing the bottom seals and flooding houses.

that being said, they have had so many problems with them they may not even be made anymore.
Wow, thanks for the heads up.

The tank won’t be going in until next year as part of an overall basement retro-fit. As such, pre-emptively avoiding water damage is a massive priority.

Have you worked with any of the Canadian custom aquarium producers? I am thinking of just approaching some of the LFS’s in Halifax and seeing what they recommend - but I find it’s always better to hear from people who have been in the game for years and years.

Reactions: tlindsey

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022

A tank that will reliably hold water is far more critical than I had every guessed before I moved to larger tanks. Then I had an 800g flood my home office.

For me visualizing 300g of water (or 800g) was a little esoteric. To better imagine exactly what happens picture dumping a half dozen 55g drums of water on your floor. We all eventually experience a catastrophic tank failure and should prepare for the blessed day. In my case I have very large totes of towels, a couple wet/dry vacs and kitty litter seemed like a great absorbent so I picked up several big jugs of that just in case.

Can't recommend that.

Kitty litter does absorb a big volume of water and can be used to make a perimeter dam but it turns into a concretious slurry that is much harder to clean up than I had imagined.

Reactions: Caperguy99

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
[QUOTE We all eventually experience a catastrophic tank failure and should prepare for the blessed day. ][/QUOTE]

I've in the hobby for 35 years and never had this happen yet... but all my tanks have been either Miracles brand (domestic Canadian brand) or Aqueon brand (their large tanks are well made) and purchased new, never used.. my 150g Aqueon is 13 years old and counting and the seams still look excellent.

<runs off to check tanks> :)

man though, 800g of water is crazy!!!

my Aqueon 150g:

310688738_10159231325553401_2373092034163612741_n.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store