Help!! Convict had babies

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
IMG_5398.jpegIMG_5399.jpeg
This was meant to be a temporary grow out tank, only for another 2-3 weeks. I had a pair of convicts that of course started breeding so I gave away the female and turns out I was too late and they had babies. There is 3 other new world cichlids in the tank. It’s only 16 gallons until I get the new tank. Will the dad eat the fry? Or will they survive? Can I save them? Help, also I just realized before I had to leave town for the weekend so I can’t do anything today, will they be fine?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The father will guard them to a point. But, if he feels it's a lost cause he will consume the fry to recycle the energy used.
Mother nature ain't as nice as well all think she is.
Sadly more than likely the fry will be gone by time you get back unless you remove all other's save the father.

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
The father will guard them to a point. But, if he feels it's a lost cause he will consume the fry to recycle the energy used.
Mother nature ain't as nice as well all think she is.
Sadly more than likely the fry will be gone by time you get back unless you remove all other's save the father.
Are you saying the father will eat them? Because the other fish are not a worry, he is the head of the tank and nobody wants to get close to him right now, thanks

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Are you saying the father will eat them? Because the other fish are not a worry, he is the head of the tank and nobody wants to get close to him right now, thanks
If he feels threatened, then yes he will. But if he's boss then they may make it. If still in wiggler stage outlook is better. But if free swimming may be a different story.

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
If he feels threatened, then yes he will. But if he's boss then they may make it. If still in wiggler stage outlook is better. But if free swimming may be a different story.
So do you think I should move them? And where should I move them? I don’t have a second tank sadly

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So do you think I should move them? And where should I move them? I don’t have a second tank sadly
If no second tank then nothing to be done. Just hope it works out as you want it to.
As a side note, cichlids normally fail the first couple spawns. They are all learning this from instincts, where as we have the internet. It is quit rare for a brand new pair to get it's first spawn to adulthood. And we as fish keepers help by letting algea grown in our spawning tanks for the fry to eat etc.
On a chance spawning such as this I wouldn't count on anything surviving. You already removed the female, lowering the survival as she has most of the care instincts. The male just do guarding and catching strays and bringing them back to the pack. She is the one that herds the fry around the tank to graze upon micro flora and fauna.
20190223_123917.jpg20210110_170909.jpg20181031_213511.jpg

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
If no second tank then nothing to be done. Just hope it works out as you want it to.
As a side note, cichlids normally fail the first couple spawns. They are all learning this from instincts, where as we have the internet. It is quit rare for a brand new pair to get it's first spawn to adulthood. And we as fish keepers help by letting algea grown in our spawning tanks for the fry to eat etc.
On a chance spawning such as this I wouldn't count on anything surviving. You already removed the female, lowering the survival as she has most of the care instincts. The male just do guarding and catching strays and bringing them back to the pack. She is the one that herds the fry around the tank to graze upon micro flora and fauna.
View attachment 1531217View attachment 1531218View attachment 1531219
Do you think I should put them in a breeder box? Or just let them get eaten if I don’t have a seperate tank

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Do you think I should put them in a breeder box? Or just let them get eaten if I don’t have a seperate tank
If you put them in a breeder box you would have to be there to feed them 3 to 5 times a day. You leaving for the weekend and that don't work.
I would chalk this up to a learning experience. Cichlids can surprise us in many ways. And the old wives tale continues with the Grand old Convict cichlid.
Get a male
Get a female
Add water
Instant fry spawn

Don't feel bad I had a pair spawn the day I brought them home from the Wet Spot. Talk about not being prepared. But the pair I got looked to be pairing up at the store to begin with, it's why I picked them.

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
If you put them in a breeder box you would have to be there to feed them 3 to 5 times a day. You leaving for the weekend and that don't work.
I would chalk this up to a learning experience. Cichlids can surprise us in many ways. And the old wives tale continues with the Grand old Convict cichlid.
Get a male
Get a female
Add water
Instant fry spawn

Don't feel bad I had a pair spawn the day I brought them home from the Wet Spot. Talk about not being prepared. But the pair I got looked to be pairing up at the store to begin with, it's why I picked them.
I have someone at the house still that could possibly feed them something, is their anything that I could have them drop in next to the fry?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have someone at the house still that could possibly feed them something, is their anything that I could have them drop in next to the fry?
Finely crushed flake food would work. There is a fry food called First bites, made by Hikari that I had success with.

Will have to be 3 to 5 small feedings per day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store