Help ID my Geophagus

AnomalocarisAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
So I recently bought this small Geophagus sp. for my cichlid tank. Problem is, I somehow forgot what geophagus it was. Only thing I can say is it's not a Sveni, because I remember when I was at the store, there was a tank full of them next to the tank with this geo. Attached are the best photos I could take of this fish, I may take more if needed.

IMG_20240416_203153.jpg

IMG_20240416_203120.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Reactions: tlindsey

AnomalocarisAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
To be honest, it makes sense how I was sold a species of Guianacara as geophagus, in the exact same tank I saw A. Heckelii referred to as Geophagus Heckelii.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find, with LFSs, and cichlids, getting a name right is maybe averages about 50/50
Especially if they only "common" name users.
At least your LFS , got the Tribe right,

To be fair lets break it down a little

Family.......... Cichlidae
Sub-family.....Cichlinae
Tribe..............Geophagini
Genus............Guiaacara
species.........various

your Acarichhys are
Family.........Cichlidae
Sub-Family,,.Cichlinae
Tribe.............Geophagini
Genus...........Acarichthys
species ........heckelli

now compare something like another S American favorite such as an Oscar,
here... you will be lucky to get anything beyond color (blue, red, veil tail, bumblebee etc, which have nothing to do with its Taxonomy)
Family .............Cichlidae
Sub-Family.......Cichlinae
Tribe.................Astronotini
genus ..............Astronotus
species............various

But now as we move geographically north, a Vieja, such as a term a LFS might use, as Red Head
Family .............Cichladae
Subfamily.........Cichlinae
Tribe..................Therapsini
Genus................Vieja
species .............bifasciata

Or across the globe to (for example) Madagascar, common name a LFS might use, a Pinstripe Damba
Family.............Cichlidae
Sub-Family......Etroplinae
Genus .............Paretroplus
species ...........menerambo

Or further yet to India, a LFS might call a Green Chromide
Family............Cichlidae
Subfamily......Etroplinae
Genus............Etroplus
species .........suratensis

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Like Crenicichla, Guianancara are in the same "tribe" as Geophagus, but not closely related. Considered more closely related to Acarichthys heckelii, both in their own sub-group. They've been moved around some taxonomically, before 40 or so years ago they were included with Aequidens. Some species look very similar, especially adding mood differences in the mix. Imo you'd definitely need to let it grow out and get clear photos to have a shot at an ID.

(PDF) Two new species of Guianacara from the Venezuelan portion of the Guiana Shield (Perciformes: Cichlidae) (researchgate.net)
Based on a morphological phylogenetic analysis, Kullander (1998) formally proposed that Guianacara and Acarichthys were sister-taxa and formed the tribe Acarichthyini, a lineage within the Neotropical cichlid sub-family Geophaginae. Molecular (Farias et al., 1998, 1999; Lo´pez-Ferna´ndez et al., 2005a) and
combined molecular and morphological analyses (Farias et al., 2000; 2001; Lo´pez-Ferna´ndez et al., 2005b) have generally confirmed this relationship

Mazan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2022
I have some that I believe are G. owrowefi (though they were sold as geayi). I know their parents were wild from French Guiana which eliminates most of the species, and mine have the first dorsal fin ray black, which geayi do not according to the diagram posted above.

I have found that they do not feed in the same way as Geophagus, they don't take large mouthfuls of sand to sift through. Instead they often do short bursts of sort of swimming through the sand, pushing it forward with their mouth and disturbing stuff in the process. I have seen them doing this since they were very tiny.

IMG_9940.jpgIMG_9941.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store