Help to ID arapaima

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not an expert in them but to my mind probably.

There are currently I believe four “types” and two have not been seen in the hobby. It could therefore be gigas or leptosoma (the slender arapaima) but at this age and size it’s probably too difficult to tell. Of course a catch region might help but again probably not as they believe there to be more undescribed species out there.

Probably one of those get it and see occasions if you can house an arapaima.

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter , your view?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've never seen any other in the trade than gigas, specifically the ones supposed / labeled leptosoma grow to the same 6ft + in the same time as do nominal gigas - this is what Wesley Wong tells me and tells us and I 100% believe Wes.

This fish seems pretty light colored, either very stressed in the photo or a morph. If the latter, it'd be worth 10x or more, though I am the opposite of a morph lover.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is that a recent purchase of yours?....good luck if so as I've read that they can be quite delicate and hard to feed at that size.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
To my knowledge, practically all exported arapaima are farmed and not wild caught, meaning anything other than gigas is practically impossible to come across. Could be wrong, though; personally never really bothered to find out much about captive arapaima. Good luck!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Being kept in light coloured gravel, with bright light and no hiding space could definitely be causing it to be light in colour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store