Help with breed and gender?

Imtyler

Feeder Fish
Nov 28, 2023
Hello guys I am new to this form, I got this flowerhorn today from my Lfs. currently he is in a hospital tank treating for ich as some of the others in his tank had it. I would like help with the breed and gender of this little guy/gal. out of all the babies they had this one was the biggest and was already showing red/pink coloring on the bottom front (everyone was pretty dark due to being sick and just being shipped in) though some had a lot of pearling and I’m thinking that might have been better? All koks looks about the same as this with some maybe a little bigger than mine pictured here. I will try to update will more pictures as they gain color back if needed. Thank you in advance.
image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello guys I am new to this form, I got this flowerhorn today from my Lfs. currently he is in a hospital tank treating for ich as some of the others in his tank had it. I would like help with the breed and gender of this little guy/gal. out of all the babies they had this one was the biggest and was already showing red/pink coloring on the bottom front (everyone was pretty dark due to being sick and just being shipped in) though some had a lot of pearling and I’m thinking that might have been better? All koks looks about the same as this with some maybe a little bigger than mine pictured here. I will try to update will more pictures as they gain color back if needed. Thank you in advance.
View attachment 1530508
Welcome aboard
Tbh no one will know the DNA of the Flowerhorn it will most likely be assumptions. You would have to track down the breeder probably a impossible task.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I would assume it's a ZZ Red Dragon by the looks of it but then again it's also very stressed ATM so only time will tell once it stats showing it's colors. Also for gender we can't really make any assumptions until it's at least 4in long. Looks can be deceiving so best to just wait till it's the right size to take out and vent.

Btw when it comes to venting a fish you'll need to take it out of the water and flip it upside down. What you'll be looking for it the 2 lil holes just in front of the anal fin. The closest one to the fin is the vent and the one furthest is the anus. If the vent is the same size or smaller then the anus it's a male but if the vent is larger it's a female. Here's a pic showing what I mean with one of my old females I had.

cameringo_20200609_004757.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Imtyler

Feeder Fish
Nov 28, 2023
I would assume it's a ZZ Red Dragon by the looks of it but then again it's also very stressed ATM so only time will tell once it stats showing it's colors. Also for gender we can't really make any assumptions until it's at least 4in long. Looks can be deceiving so best to just wait till it's the right size to take out and vent.

Btw when it comes to venting a fish you'll need to take it out of the water and flip it upside down. What you'll be looking for it the 2 lil holes just in front of the anal fin. The closest one to the fin is the vent and the one furthest is the anus. If the vent is the same size or smaller then the anus it's a male but if the vent is larger it's a female. Here's a pic showing what I mean with one of my old females I had.

View attachment 1530606
Thank you for the detailed reply! I just got into Flowerhorns and this is my second one but my first baby. Will definitely update with more pictures though the days.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you for the detailed reply! I just got into Flowerhorns and this is my second one but my first baby. Will definitely update with more pictures though the days.
They are a joy and a pain to keep lol. Some are really chill while others want nothing more then blood n carnage, so I definitely suggest investing in some decent leather gloves just to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store