Hints For Grinding Up Pellet Food For Fry?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I really appreciate all the ideas. I used to buy 0.5 mm pellets and grind them down but they seemed to last forever and they go beyond the best before date as fry soon move on 1 mm and eat that size longer so I don't buy the 0.5 anymore. It just takes a little longer to pound out the 1 mm.

I had a fishkeeping friend over for dinner yesterday and the topic came up and he also mentioned the egg yolk thing - something he used back in the '60s. My three week old (post spawn) peacock fry have been eating the 1 mm NorthFin for the last 3 days (pulverized with a rolling pin for 5 minutes). It yielded about 15 ml of powder and teeny teeny pellets which should do them for awhile.

Had they not been able to eat the powder I might have tried the egg. It just sounds messier though.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would put a couple pellets, thawed peas and some tank water in this processor picked up at a rummage sale, puree them, and use a pipette to distribute the slew into different sections of the fry school, to attempt to get food to as many as possible
1699789077907.png1699789117340.png1699789292639.png

Reactions: punman and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store