HITH... is it dead?

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of my Redheads with minor HITH. Ive been treating them with meds (metronidazole). Ive been treating them for the recommended time on the packaging, but I want to be sure that the parasite is gone. I was treating them by medicating the aquarium water. I didn't treat their food as it tended to disintegrate and the fish wouldn't eat it. Does anyone know if three weeks in metroplex treated water is enough to kill the parasites?

-Matt

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
You should soak the pellets in it. for my hoplarchus i did that. and kept my water clean. i got lucky and went aaway. Most cases for hith. If not caught early. It will scar and it can come back anytime....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
HITH is typically viewed by experts in this field as being triggered by a case of Spironucleus vortens that has become systemic, and travelled from the lining of the gastrointestinal system, to the tissue in the head region. IMO, simply adding Metro to the tank water will not completely eradicate this parasite - but will often send the disease into remission. This is where the clean water comes into play, as clean water will help elevate the immune response in the fish.

My advice, get some NLS Hex-Shield and see if your fish will eat that. It contains Metronidazole, epsom salt, and a mega dose of garlic. That or get some different pellets and mix your own meds and pre-soak. The best delivery is to get the meds directly to the fishes gut, where it will be readily absorbed and travel into the blood stream and tissue of the fish.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Are you sure your Red Head has HITH. IME, only fish from soft water region of Amazon basin can get HITH. Red Head came from CA with neutral to hard water and aren't suceptable to HITH. Could the holes be physical injury as Red Head are skittish and could bang its head on rock. If the fish stop eating, it could be more serious bacterial infection as fish suffering from HITH will continue to eat.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
OK, trouble with common name. I thought he was referring to Vieja sysnpiillum, which is also called Red Head cichlid. Red Head Topajos is from Amazon River basin, highly suceptable to HITH. IMO, HITH is not treatable unless you can alter the water chemistry. My Amazon Basin Geos, surinemsis and juruparik, all came up with HITH no matter what I treated them, but still lived to old age. Currently, I am keeping Geo isorangensis from Uruguay, cousin of the larger Brazilensis, that is not bothered by the disease.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Same species, in the same city as the OP, raised in the exact same tap water.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=45130

This is not a pH/GH/KH, or any kind of tap water issue. Tapajos do not tend to have the same issues with pH/GH as some of the more sensitive geo species from SA.

This was already covered in the previous thread linked to above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store