How large are the largest Blood Parrot Cichlids?

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
I saw a blood parrot at a Chinese restaurant (imagine that) that was a good 11-12 inches, they said the fish was 5 years old. He was in a 75 gallon with 7 other blood parrots. How big are some of your biggest? Pics are encouraged. My biggest are maybe 7-8 inches and almost 4 years old.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
In my experience, only about twenty five percent of blood parrots grow larger than about the size of a softball, the ones that do can reach up to 2 kg in size depending on the head shape. If a parrots head is more caved in and the gills are bigger generally it will live a shorter amount of time and grow to a smaller maximum size. the olschool blood parrots that still have mouths can generally reach the size of a cantaloupe. Of course when you get parrots with less and less of a notch on the head eventually you get to kkp and more kkp grow to a larger size. Happy breed claims that their kkp all grow to at least 2 kg in size.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
The biggest true blood parrot i ever had was the size of a small watermelon

sorry I dont have a good pic of him, but he was just a regular bp from a farm in florida. go figure but I think they can probably just get that big growing in an outdoor holding pond, he was that size when I got him. He is now in a resturant tank as well they are good show fish

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
I saw a blood parrot at a Chinese restaurant (imagine that) that was a good 11-12 inches, they said the fish was 5 years old. He was in a 75 gallon with 7 other blood parrots

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
The biggest true blood parrot i ever had was the size of a small watermelon

sorry I dont have a good pic of him, but he was just a regular bp from a farm in florida. go figure but I think they can probably just get that big growing in an outdoor holding pond, he was that size when I got him. He is now in a resturant tank as well they are good show fish
Umm.. That doesn't look like the size of a watermelon.. looks about 8-9 inches.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
I'll try and get a picture of him when I go in next. The restaurant is across the street from my house. Hope I'm not overestimating, but he really is huge!

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store