How often to feed a wolf fish?

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
OK my wolf is pushing 7 inches, I think it's a mac. How often should I be feeding him?

So far I have fed him pretty much everyday. He didn't like river shrimp but he's eaten raw tuna steak (fresh), pig liver, a 4 inch catfish, and a blind cave fish.

I think I might be over feeding him, I'm not sure what's a healthy amount to give him.

A small chunk of meat or fish every day? Or a bigger amount every 2 days or what?

Cheers,
JR

smltwnzer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
California
Predatory fish dont need to be fed everyday... maybe once in two days? Just make sure it's a mouthful.

In the wild these predators aren't constantly successful in their "captures" BUT at the same time:

it's good to feed it a little bit here and there... 2 small meals in one day is great for it's metabolism.

Whatever you decide is fine.

chris

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Do you think that it's a mac (Hoplias macrophthalmus) or a mal (H. malabaricus)? Big difference between them, macs are VERY rare, and mals are pretty common, depending on the area that it's from. Pics? Anyway, it's not really relevant to the question, LOL... so sorry about the derailment. I would feed it a good mouthful every two days. :)

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the info, some say it's a mal, some say it's a mac, here's a photo...

I'm surprised by how non aggressive this fish is.

He looks healthy, and he eats everyday, he eats basically anything I put in there but he certainly doesn't seem like a voracious predator.

When I put feeder fish in he usually ignores them until night time, often eating them when I'm not in the room.

He's also in the tank with a bichir and a hujeta and he never troubles them at all, he's simply not an aggressive fish.

From what people were telling me wolf fish are one of the most aggressive fish out there, more so than snakeheads etc, but my old red snakehead was 100x more aggressive than this.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
feed them to what?

Oscar guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Queens NY
Well i have a small 5 inch wolf and i feed him basicly everything to beef harts fruits vegies and whole grain. like every two weeks he grows maby a half an inch to a inch im not saying to feed him all these things im saying if you feed wolf fish alot they will grow. alot of protine is good for a wolf. Food=protine=+wolf fish= happy wolf fish

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
He actually does sort of look like a mac to me, LOL... but they're just now showing up in the US and I havn't heard of them being in the UK yet, so I'm sort of tempted to say it's a darker morph of a mal... how much was he (If he's a mac he'd probably be around 100 GBP and if he's a mac he'd be quite a bit cheaper)? Either way, great looking wolf!

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks, I think it's confirmed now he is a brazilian mal, not a mac. Too bad, but he's still a lovely looking fish. And at least he's not gonna grow to 3 foot :)

Freshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
SEA
hi,
what's the growth rate for wolf fish?

i have a red fin wolf...

feed on prawn, live shrimp n feeder molly..

however... it doesn't seem to grow long... only grew fatter.. :grinyes:

n also.the redness isn't out..

pls advise..

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
rumblesushi said:
thanks, I think it's confirmed now he is a brazilian mal, not a mac. Too bad, but he's still a lovely looking fish. And at least he's not gonna grow to 3 foot :)
Yeah, mals are still really cool... and truth be told I like some of the local variants of them better than macs. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store