How to get African tiger fish to eat frozen silversides?

Jdot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2024
He’s currently on live minnows but I wna get him to eat frozen. It’s been about 2 days since he last ate and he’s still not interested in silversides at all. He’s about 4 or 5 inches big and in good health

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My incredibly ancient writeup on the subject:

After I wrote that, I got to the point where I would feed them small live crickets. The movement of the crickets would get their curiosity and trigger the feeding response, and when they were consistently hitting crickets without hesitation, I'd start mixing in pellets.

Once they got habituated to hitting anything on the surface, sinking pellets or fish chunks were taken readily. Getting them off of live is the hard part, but once they're off live they turn into garbage cans.

The younger you make them transition to dead food, the easier the transition will be.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Mine took silversides straight away at about 3" and hasnt looked back 16 months later. Personally I wouldnt feed it any more live and just keep putting lancefish, prawn in until he takes it which I am sure he will as there arent many fish wish a prey drive and greed like AFT's

Payara are the same probably trickier but within a week tend to smash the frozen

Reactions: Jdot

Jdot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2024
My incredibly ancient writeup on the subject:

After I wrote that, I got to the point where I would feed them small live crickets. The movement of the crickets would get their curiosity and trigger the feeding response, and when they were consistently hitting crickets without hesitation, I'd start mixing in pellets.

Once they got habituated to hitting anything on the surface, sinking pellets or fish chunks were taken readily. Getting them off of live is the hard part, but once they're off live they turn into garbage cans.

The younger you make them transition to dead food, the easier the transition will be.
So small crickets will help him transition to frozen? Thanks for all the info btw!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
So small crickets will help him transition to frozen? Thanks for all the info btw!
Yes. I've found small crickets elicit a predatory response from fickle characins like ATF and payara, which will eventually lead to them smashing anything that hits the surface of the water when tehy're hungry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store