I did the "impossible". two adult male rescued pits together

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Looks like your doing great so far , just keep your eye on them and like others said dont leave them together unattended , my mother inlaw has just had a nightmare fight break out between her two staffy x pits over a bag of treats she dropped , both dogs and her have ended up bleeding she's been bitten quite badly on her foot and hand :(
I too am going through a difficult stage with my male shar pei fighting for alpha with bigger dogs so hes back on the long lead at the min
Hello; The implication appears to be that fights are anticipated behavior between two of the males of this type dog. Some of the posts in this thread and the underlined portion of your post appear to support this. Am I correct in that those giving the warnings have experience with the breed in this area?

Did your mother in law keep the dogs after being bitten?

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
the key is constant exercise. I walked them side by side with people helping me and muzzles then let them play with muzzles and now they are out together when I am home . the new one is caged when I step out because he destroys the house. I believe he was an outdoor dog (coming from VA and being heavily bit by bugs)

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
Looks like your doing great so far , just keep your eye on them and like others said dont leave them together unattended , my mother inlaw has just had a nightmare fight break out between her two staffy x pits over a bag of treats she dropped , both dogs and her have ended up bleeding she's been bitten quite badly on her foot and hand :(
I too am going through a difficult stage with my male shar pei fighting for alpha with bigger dogs so hes back on the long lead at the min
enforce the dogs you want to be alpha. what are the other breeds? unlike most dogs pits disregard submission and most never submit anyways.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I'm not saying its the type of dog they all have teeth and are all capable of damage to others , that's just the type of dogs my mother has they too are both rescue dogs , she's kept the dogs after the incident as they are her babies and she's confident enough with them not to be affriad or anything like that (she kind of blames herself for not controlling the treats given out )
As for my shar pei he's a stubborn one :) his aggression towards bigger dogs isn't causing damage as he's on the lead and I've got control of him its more growling and bashing into the other dogs for dominace rather than biting them , he's still young so I guess he's just trying his luck around the block with other dogs to establish ranking
Hello; The implication appears to be that fights are anticipated behavior between two of the males of this type dog. Some of the posts in this thread and the underlined portion of your post appear to support this. Am I correct in that those giving the warnings have experience with the breed in this area?

Did your mother in law keep the dogs after being bitten?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Really important to prevent that first fight. After that, either the dog will win and will gain confidence to fight again or it loses and that dog will become fear aggressive. Either way aggression builds.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
Really important to prevent that first fight. After that, either the dog will win and will gain confidence to fight again or it loses and that dog will become fear aggressive. Either way aggression builds.
agreed. my sister brought the white dog up from Virginia claiming it was submissive. I knew immediately that was not the case. how dogs interact with humans and other dogs are too complete separate issues. off the bad these dogs were growling at each other across the street on neutral territory. I said ok this is not going to work out like this. caged them and rotated for a few days. the first day the white one tried to bust out to get to the black one. I put a stop to that asap. then I would walk them side by side with muzzles and my sister holding one dog then me wakling both with muzzles. then walking without muzzles. after that let them play with only the new one muzzled...finally in the backyard had the white one on a huge leash (3 long wire leashes connected) and the black one off leash and they wrestled. now they live together and sleep together on the couch or bed but I crate them at night as I sleep by myself. I am in a small apartment it is not ideal at all but I move in 2-3 months to my grandmothers old house by myself and a huge fenced in yard. my mom has a dog aggressive boxer. I got her to get along with these dogs in the same way. my sister has a full staffoshire and a staffoshire bull terrier. all the dogs get along thanks to me and they all obviously fall under the same group

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
its an apartment in a two family house. not enough space for two pits. both were pulled from high kill shelters so obviously its better.... but they will enjoy the house much more.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
just snapped this . don't mind the dirty table lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store