I got a mixed size red devils will they paired?

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
My friend gave me 5pcs 4"inch red devils. I already have 3 pcs 2 inch white rd in my 75 gallon tank. I want the rd and white rd to pair to produce a creamsicle rds. The problem is that the rds are bigger compare to the white rd. I thinking to sort out them when they are big enough or I let them decide to pair for themselves?

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
It can work but often risks losing the usually smaller female and I find the bond is never as good, leading to less frequent spawns, dividing the aquarium and less success with fry.

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
I am planning to remove all 4 normal color rds and let the 1 normal color and the 3 white rd to pair for themselves. the alpha male is owning the whole tank but did not harass the small white rds. Will that reduces the risk?
It can work but often risks losing the usually smaller female and I find the bond is never as good, leading to less frequent spawns, dividing the aquarium and less success with fry.
You can try pairing them yourself but it will be risky.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
That would be best, allowing a pair to form as naturally as possible. Just keep an eye on the others and remove them when the time comes.

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
Do they pair already? The other rds are hiding but this 2 is alway out. I could not determining the sex of them. But these two are hanging around peacefully with minimal aggression with the yellow rd.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store