I think something is wrong with my gar can someone help

soapy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2023
My pet longnose gars snout is paler then the rest of his body and he has this white spot hanging off his right eye. I don't think it's fungus but I'm not fully sure.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
My pet longnose gars snout is paler then the rest of his body and he has this white spot hanging off his right eye. I don't think it's fungus but I'm not fully sure.
Pics would be nice to figure the problem

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
what’s your water parameters? I suspect low pH but may be wrong. I’ll let others chime in kno4te kno4te duanes duanes

Reactions: kno4te

soapy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2023
The parameters should be fine it's a newly cycled tank and he's only been in it for a couple days plus he had those problems before I put him into his new tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is possible that it is a parasite, hanging on the eye, is this gar wild caught?
but.......in order to be sure it is or isn't a parasite, a more in focus close up is needed.
I would suggest finding someone with a camera, that can be equipped with a micro lens.
A shot at least similar to this.
IMG_7750.jpeg
This above, is a Lernea parasite.
I use a generic micro lens, on my Canon Digital rebel, and it works well.
I found the lens on Craigs list (used) for about $20
A couple more shots using that lens
1690936041180.png1690936165146.png

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
A bit difficult to make anything out form pics. What’s the tank size? What are you feeding?

soapy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2023
I have him in a 110 gallon and I've put some love feeder fish but he hasn't eaten since I got him last week.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Cyprinids like pond raised feeder goldfish, and wild caught minnows and tetras, are notorious carriers of parasite such as Lernaea.
Even frogs and tadpoles can be carriers
Using any of the above as feeders (without a lengthy QT period) and thorough examination of each individual before putting it in a tank s a feeder, s a very risky proposition.
IMG_5388.jpeg
All it takes ia one carrier like the tetra above with 2 parasites on the lower jaw, and a couple on the dorsal, and the population of an entire tank can be wiped out in a week.
This is why I would never use feeder fish with my predatory fish.
I will starve a fish for a month or 2 in an attempt to convert it to pellets, before I'd subject a tank to using feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store