IDEAL TANK SET UP FOR FAHAKA PUFFER?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Whats the ideal tank set up for a fahaka puffer? I'm talking for tank size, to plantation, decoration and type of gravel...I'm planning to set up a 120 galon tank which is 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet by august when baby fahaka season comes around. How should my tank be set up?

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
The Fahaka requires a very large aquarium with tank mates of similar size and disposition. Many plants and rocks should be included in the setup providing the Puffer with plenty of hiding places. I dont need to tell you that they are Aggressive and get to about 20 inches i say your tank will do the job OK.

Ami

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
Farnborough, UK
Ideally, the Nile Puffer will need to move to the biggest tank you can get him (minimum 4x2x2) as they grow very fast. I know a guy on another forum who's Nile Puffer grew a foot in 12 months and is now 1.5' long!

Also, you might want to carefully consider tank mates. Nile Puffers are known to be particularly aggressive and will attack anything - including throwing themselves at the glass to get at people walking by.

Paul _MTS had some luck keeping a big mouth catfish with his for a while, but even though he's still pretty small and had a hard start, Cookie still managed to take a chunk out of the bigmouth when no-one was looking.

Best to keep them alone and yes, they are gorgeous, but do you really want to have a huge tank that could be full of lots of cool fish, but only has one cos he might kill anything you put in with him?
:drool:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i dont know anyone that has managed to keep anything with them, other species or own, on long term. esp. when they are bigger

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Definitely solitary fish. I would not put anything with a fahaka. I would use fine sand, but careful with the type of filtration you use. Best to use a wet and dry system.My 5" fahaka crunch some hard corals, starfish skeleton, (not live corals) , I guess just to sharpen the beak. Never tried plants with them though. My fahaka died because of a sump pump. He got sucked in there. My bad for killind the fahaka. I was careless, but not gonna happen again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store