I'm interested in breeding fish in my 45k gal pond in CA. Can anyone suggest fish?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It is also possible to heat the greenhouse with fire(if u have a way to keep smoke from getting in)

altumangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2016
lovely pond OP. if u want to get rid of hair algae. get some flag fish (jordanella floridae) they will take care of all the hair algae u have. they can tolerate low temps too in the 50's. i would toss in some SAE siamese algae eaters (Crossocheilus oblongus) as well. they eat algae. make sure u dont mistaken them with flying fox tho. they look similiar but flying fox do not eat algae. you're very limited during the winter. as not many fish will survive outside in ca.

to battle algae, i would grow more plants. u should grow more aquatic plants like vals,swords,ferns and other easy to grow plants. more plants = clearer water.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would also avoid getting more than 1 Koi. Other fish to consider if u go the heated route:paradise fish,studfish,lyretail killifish and a fewvpeacock gudgeon and Amano shrimp

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Thanks! I was actually looking into ordering a bag of flagfish on sale. I wish there was a lical place selling plants. So far, the advertised places seem to build, not sell. Where do you guys get your plants and fish?

Here are some photos from today, after the first rain. One of the tall finned sharks I bought is thriving. I only hope the other two week magically appear months after purchase. We're at 67 deg water temp right now and the tropical fish are still flourishing. I wish I could figure out a way to catch them without draining 45k gallons. Those three big pleco especially are worth saving. I've already dragged the entire pond with a 20' siene, but only the goldfish and adult bluegill were caught. I doubt my husband in a scuba suit will swim fast enough to net them. Lol

20161014_195211.jpg

20161014_191218.jpg

20161014_180643.jpg

20161014_171318.jpg

20161014_170643.jpg

20161014_165057.jpg

20161014_164716.jpg

20161014_163413.jpg

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Nice pond. Try spraying your water lilies with BT(bacilus thur.)once a month and that should keep any bugs off them. Be sure to keep them fertilized(monthly) and they should be good to go

View attachment 1207888

My pond company has my lillies in one gallon garden pots, yet they are supposed to be a part of the bio filtration system where the roots get the nutrients from the fish waste, a giant undergravel device. I don't get how this works if the plants are in pots. :( What size pots do you use, and is there a way to fertilize them once the pots are covered? What do you use? Your lillies are so lovely!! Now I see how their leaves shoukd have provided shade, if they had grown.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
I would also avoid getting more than 1 Koi. Other fish to consider if u go the heated route:paradise fish,studfish,lyretail killifish and a fewvpeacock gudgeon and Amano shrimp
That's what I wanted in the first place, no goldfish or koi. But the type of fish I can have here without heat seems so limited. I also fell in love with a golden butterfly koi, which didn't live. I gotta have another, max 5. It's hard to see the natives in such a big pond, so a splash of color isn't so bad. Bluegill, sunfish, minnows, dojo, and the tall fin shark are what I've tried. I still have a few goldfish to remove. I plan to get flag fish too, but besides cats I might step on, I haven't found what can winter here. I don't know my winter pound temps yet. What else is good in a community? I'm trying to keep the predator fish down to ones that eat baby fish, not anything over an inch, like my shark. Lol I do have Chinese algae eaters in here. Are they the same as Siamese and can either survive below 60?

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
My lillies are covered in flying bugs, thinks that look like spiders, and bugs that jump. I've only found info on aphids and soft bodied bugs that BT kills. What do you guys do for other bugs and mildew? Has anyone tried peroxide or ozonated water? I keep trying to net out the kind of floating muck like algae (not string) on which ride bugs travel plant to plant. The goldfish and sunfish try to get them.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Nice pond. Wish I knew how to advise you on how to catch those plecos. If I ever do my dream pond I'm going to design it somehow to be able to fetch plecos. About the only thing I could think of is those long nets they use for cleaning swimming pools..
Like this one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Pool-Leaf-Rake/51246339

Is the shallow part of the pond just an overflow of water(from too much rain) or was it built with it in mind?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
To catch smaller fish take a sofa bottle and remove cap then cut the top part off and stuff top in backwArds to create a funnel,some of the larger fish can be caught with a barbless hook,fish traps may also be available.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Cool cold hardy fish:albino channel catfish,bullhead,diamond koi,domestic/golden tench,studfish,madtoms,weather loach,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store