Important Puffer id

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Hi, I am posting this again in a different area hoping to get more coverage. I need help to id this puffer. I have him in freshwater and am afraid he may need salt. I have had quite a few people guess but couldnt quite id him. He is about 9-10" long. Someone in another site said that his top markings may be fading because he needs salt. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Here are some pics.

para566

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
USA
I can't tell you off hand the name of them....But I have 4 in my 150 gl fresh water tank and they have done fine for almost a yr now. Having said that they HAVE to have small snails to eat (mine eat about 20 a week) I have got them to now eat frozen blood worms. but that is the only things they'll eat . Their color will come back if they are feed properly, at least mine did. good luck !!

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I believe someone mentioned it in another thread, but Colomesus psittacus is the only one I can recall that looks similar to the one you have. they look a lot like the south american puffer Colomesus assellus (which is probably what para566 has) but grow much larger to around 12" I think. they are incredibly rare but who knows, it's possible one could have gotten imported in a shipment of assellus. :)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I think I figured it out.. I believe it to be Takifugu obscurus

Check out the picture below.. Notice the definitive black spot located at the dorsal fin., and near the pectoral fin. Also notice the white belly with the intense yellow line that divides the fish. Your fishes complete yellow and blotchy pattern might be due to lack of Salt, as they are to be a marine fish when they reach full size(40cm).. Also, the picture below shows a fish that is not alive, so it might of lost alot of that yellow coloration on it's back.. But as we all know, Patterns with Puffers can be completely random. The key is the definitive line seperating the white/yellow, the eye spots on both the dorsal fin and near the pectoral fin. The slender body shape also is most resembling the Takifugu family of puffers, more than any other species. I definately think that lack of salinity or long-term stress could of caused the pattern on your puffer to develop the way it did.. It is also hard to determine the age and size of the puffer below, which could create the contrast in pattern.. As they grow, they could gain more of that yellow coloration, or it could be from lack of salt.. Who knows. Also, notice the black splotchy eyebrows on your fish, and compare it to the black dot starting to form above the eye on the picture below. This pattern could just be starting to formulate on the Puffer below, especially if it is a juvenile specimen.

I could be wrong, but if you go to this website it shows a picture for just about every species of Pufferfish. This is the one that came up the closest in all my search results. My 2nd guess would be the C. Psittacus.. but think it would have less yellow and more 'bands' as the common name 'banded parrot' fish implies just that.. Your's is more splotchy, and the ocellotus spots in the same locations as the Takifugu species is a big hint.

Hope that's the one!! Looks like he should be in a near brackish/marine tank right now..

TakiFugusObscurus.jpg

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Wellthats exactly the Email I just got from Wes at Rare fish. Well, Im off to buy another huge tank for a new salt setup. Going to take a while to acclimate him and cycle the new tank. Hope this is what he really needs. Going to start off with brackish water then slowly go full salt then. Just waiting to hear back from Wes on the best way to approach this. Thank you all for your help and thanks Miles for the time you put in.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The little chin strap bothers me.
I think the head and eye shape are wrong for the T. obscurus
I found this picture on a russian site of the Takifugu rubripes (torafugu) and it seems to match pretty well. It is one tha is commonly used for fugu. It gets to 28" long and is caught in freshwater and brackish inlets. here is the picture.
I have checked several sites and the color pattern is quite variable but always includes the blotch edged in pale behind the pectoral and at least a fainter blotch below the dorsal.

taki.gif

800px-Fugu_in_Tank.jpg

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
So, do I get an "atta boy"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store