Intermediate bass fishing advice?

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Yea, definitely....you get a snag with mono or FC, you can usually snap the line off at the knot or straighten the hook, but braid needs to be cut, usually leaving 10-50 yards still hung up in the water. Straightening the hook w/ braid isn't likely either since you won't be using sissy hooks with heavy duty line, right? Imagine catching a Tarpon on 300 yds of 80lb braid and getting spooled - I hate to think of how much sea-life is going to get tangled in that mess and die or sustain injury, you know?
I see what you are saying, and that could certainly be an issue, but seeing as he is bass fishing I dont see him getting spooled, though if he does Ill be moving to Texas to bass fish very shortly! Haha. I will say that I dont like fishing straight braid because like you said getting hung up sucks. I use a J knot and tie on a leader of fc or mono that is a couple feet long. Usually if I get hung up I go get it, but if thats not possible then I can break off the leader and not leave braid behind. Also I like a leader for the simple cost effectiveness of up, braid isnt cheap so saving as much of it as possible is worth the time it takes to tie a second knot to me. Ive been fishing with the J knot for almost to straight years now and I can honestly say Ive never lost a fish due to knot failure. I do see where you are coming from though, and people that leave their line in the water is doing no one any favors. My favorite local lake has started getting pounded by crappie fishermen that like to break of tons of line when they hang up their crappie jigs, and it certainly cant be a good thing whether its braid or mono being left behind.

Haha I do have to admit that I have been hung when using straight braid a few times and had to wrap it around an anchor cleat and drive the boat away to break the knot.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Go with a Johnny Morris carbonlite combo from bass pro. Best combo you can get for under $200. DSC_1271.JPG

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I see what you are saying, and that could certainly be an issue, but seeing as he is bass fishing I dont see him getting spooled, though if he does Ill be moving to Texas to bass fish very shortly! Haha. I will say that I dont like fishing straight braid because like you said getting hung up sucks. I use a J knot and tie on a leader of fc or mono that is a couple feet long. Usually if I get hung up I go get it, but if thats not possible then I can break off the leader and not leave braid behind. Also I like a leader for the simple cost effectiveness of up, braid isnt cheap so saving as much of it as possible is worth the time it takes to tie a second knot to me. Ive been fishing with the J knot for almost to straight years now and I can honestly say Ive never lost a fish due to knot failure. I do see where you are coming from though, and people that leave their line in the water is doing no one any favors. My favorite local lake has started getting pounded by crappie fishermen that like to break of tons of line when they hang up their crappie jigs, and it certainly cant be a good thing whether its braid or mono being left behind.

Haha I do have to admit that I have been hung when using straight braid a few times and had to wrap it around an anchor cleat and drive the boat away to break the knot.
I had a few knot failures on lighter line when I used Cinch knots, but the simple answer to that is use Palomar or Trilene knots when using line lighter than 12lb test. Both knots go through the eye of the hook twice, making it twice as strong of a knot than a standard Cinch.

If you fish braid because it doesn't stretch I can understand but that's really the only reason to use braid IMO. U target bigger fish and need heavier mono, might be better idea to get a bigger rod and reel like I do. I keep at least one rod for each species or style of fishing. Never really had many complaints about mono as long as I'm smart enough to know what type of tackle to pack for the target species.

...and yea I agree with you, seeing fishing line tangles and "birdnests" left all over the river banks and lake shores makes me sick to my stomach. I always pick it up and recycle it. Always good to keep a trash bag in your fishing vest or tackle box whenever you go.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
I had a few knot failures on lighter line when I used Cinch knots, but the simple answer to that is use Palomar or Trilene knots when using line lighter than 12lb test. Both knots go through the eye of the hook twice, making it twice as strong of a knot than a standard Cinch.

If you fish braid because it doesn't stretch I can understand but that's really the only reason to use braid IMO. U target bigger fish and need heavier mono, might be better idea to get a bigger rod and reel like I do. I keep at least one rod for each species or style of fishing. Never really had many complaints about mono as long as I'm smart enough to know what type of tackle to pack for the target species.

...and yea I agree with you, seeing fishing line tangles and "birdnests" left all over the river banks and lake shores makes me sick to my stomach. I always pick it up and recycle it. Always good to keep a trash bag in your fishing vest or tackle box whenever you go.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
I like the Palomar knot. I actually have been just using the San Diego Jam knot for tying on lures or hooks and the J knot for leaders. The SD Jam knot is really strong and easy to tie. The reasons I use braid actually is not the lack of stretch. I do for the lack of memory and how sensitive it is. If you really want a good example of this then tie on a Carolina rig with a tungsten weight and go somewhere you know the bottom is hard or at least scattered rocks. Try a c-rig in that area with both mono and braid and see how much difference it makes. Mono just isnt as sensitive. I will use fc sometimes, but I use almost no mono at all anymore. It doesnt matter really though as long as whatever a person wants to use lets them catch fish then thats great!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I like the Palomar knot. I actually have been just using the San Diego Jam knot for tying on lures or hooks and the J knot for leaders. The SD Jam knot is really strong and easy to tie. The reasons I use braid actually is not the lack of stretch. I do for the lack of memory and how sensitive it is. If you really want a good example of this then tie on a Carolina rig with a tungsten weight and go somewhere you know the bottom is hard or at least scattered rocks. Try a c-rig in that area with both mono and braid and see how much difference it makes. Mono just isnt as sensitive. I will use fc sometimes, but I use almost no mono at all anymore. It doesnt matter really though as long as whatever a person wants to use lets them catch fish then thats great!
I know what you're saying, and I'm a big worm/lizard-user, but if I have live bait, nothing's gonna entice strikes more than live baitfish or hellgrammites, so mono works just fine and costs me 500% less :D
I never heard of a San Diego Jam, but for leaders I always used a traditional Blood knot, and occasionally a Shocker knot.

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
I know what you're saying, and I'm a big worm/lizard-user, but if I have live bait, nothing's gonna entice strikes more than live baitfish or hellgrammites, so mono works just fine and costs me 500% less :D
I never heard of a San Diego Jam, but for leaders I always used a traditional Blood knot, and occasionally a Shocker knot.
Haha that is true mono is so much cheaper. Honestly if I used live bait i would likely do that as well. I cant tell you the last time I used live bait when I was bass fishing, Im not sure that I ever have haha it would be a lot of fun though! You should look up the J knot if you do use leaders much. It has been great for me and it is much easier than a blood knot. Course if I were for something really big I would likely switch from the J to a blood or alberto or something like that. For bass fishing though you cant beat the speed and ease of the J knot.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
QUOTE="cjam93, post: 7410111, member: 141306"]Haha that is true mono is so much cheaper. Honestly if I used live bait i would likely do that as well. I cant tell you the last time I used live bait when I was bass fishing, Im not sure that I ever have haha it would be a lot of fun though! You should look up the J knot if you do use leaders much. It has been great for me and it is much easier than a blood knot. Course if I were for something really big I would likely switch from the J to a blood or alberto or something like that. For bass fishing though you cant beat the speed and ease of the J knot.[/QUOTE]
You NEVER used live bait for bass????!!! Jeez, Bro....you havn't lived yet LOL. Try getting your hands on some Hellgrammites...they are expensive but they last forever and you can catch like 6-8 fish on the same one before they finally shred it cuz it's skin is tough and leathery. They have venomous bites, not harmful, but it IS painful, so I grab them by the shell behind the head and run a size #4 Eagle Claw baitholder hook starting just behind the head, (at the start of the abdomen) under the shell and bring the point of the hook back out the opposite end of the shell on the back WITHOUT cracking or piercing the shell itself. When they start to get beat up after a few fish, they can be re-hooked in the tough part of the leathery posterior.

My biggest smallmouth ever was on a big crayfish w/ the claws broken off, Still-fished on olinaig, but w/ a 1/4oz. egg sinker instead of a bullet weight. Hook them in the last segment of the tail CAREFULLY making sure you don't hit the main artery that runs down the center of the tail or it kills them. Placing the slightly off-center in that segment is the answer. This keeps them alive and allows them free forward walking movement, and natural looking backwards swim movement as they attempt to flee from a hungry bass. Making every live bait appear natural is the key. I even hook my live niightcrawlers the way you'dhook a plastic worm/lizard weedless and bury the point so it's hidden from sight.

As far as quantity goes, live creek chubs, shiners, killifishes, darters, madtoms, baby bullheads, suckers and other baitfish in the 3-10-inch range will trigger the most strikes. The best thing about bass fishing with 8 or 10 inch baitfish is it leaves you open to other option such as Pike, Muskellunge, catfish and just about any predatory fish brave enough to hit on it. I've caught MANY Largemouths in the 17-20 inch range on baitfish that were 8-10 inches+, but then again I've done the same w/ fathead trout-minnows/rosy reds too.

If you really want some fun, try fly-casting a live cricket or other local insect that will stay in one piece on a hook. Unlikestandard fly-fishing, this method of live-baiting excludes false-casting, and you just make 1 long gentle cast and leave it, or if you have an abundance of bait, you can do some line-stripping as well. Big bass on fly tackle is great....mostly effective in the hot summer months

Some other option to try are small eels up to maybe 14-18 inches, but they are to be casted and retrieved slowly or they find a hole or a crevice and hang you up. Largemouth, Striped bass and Wipers will appreciate that presentation, while if you want to target bass with a side of Walleye, Leeches should be on the menu. Mind you, Horse-leeches are useless for fishing. To find out if you have Horse-leeches, place all your leeches outside in a bucket half-full of water an the ones that crawl out overnight are the horse-leeches. Take what's left in the bucket and have fun. Useful fishig leeches won't leave the water or can't climb....not sure which, but that's how you figure out the good ones from the bad ones.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Haha that is true mono is so much cheaper. Honestly if I used live bait i would likely do that as well. I cant tell you the last time I used live bait when I was bass fishing, Im not sure that I ever have haha it would be a lot of fun though! You should look up the J knot if you do use leaders much. It has been great for me and it is much easier than a blood knot. Course if I were for something really big I would likely switch from the J to a blood or alberto or something like that. For bass fishing though you cant beat the speed and ease of the J knot.
You NEVER used live bait for bass????!!! Jeez, Bro....you havn't lived yet LOL. Try getting your hands on some Hellgrammites...they are expensive but they last forever and you can catch like 6-8 fish on the same one before they finally shred it cuz it's skin is tough and leathery. They have venomous bites, not harmful, but it IS painful, so I grab them by the shell behind the head and run a size #4 Eagle Claw baitholder hook starting just behind the head, (at the start of the abdomen) under the shell and bring the point of the hook back out the opposite end of the shell on the back WITHOUT cracking or piercing the shell itself. When they start to get beat up after a few fish, they can be re-hooked in the tough part of the leathery posterior.

My biggest smallmouth ever was on a big crayfish w/ the claws broken off, Still-fished on a Carolina rig, but w/ a 1/4oz. egg sinker instead of a bullet weight. Hook them in the last segment of the tail CAREFULLY making sure you don't hit the main artery that runs down the center of the tail or it kills them. Placing the slightly off-center in that segment is the answer. This keeps them alive and allows them free forward walking movement, and natural looking backwards swim movement as they attempt to flee from a hungry bass. Making every live bait appear natural is the key. I even hook my live niightcrawlers the way you'dhook a plastic worm/lizard weedless and bury the point so it's hidden from sight.

As far as quantity goes, live creek chubs, shiners, killifishes, darters, madtoms, baby bullheads, suckers and other baitfish in the 3-10-inch range will trigger the most strikes. The best thing about bass fishing with 8 or 10 inch baitfish is it leaves you open to other option such as Pike, Muskellunge, catfish and just about any predatory fish brave enough to hit on it. I've caught MANY Largemouths in the 17-20 inch range on baitfish that were 8-10 inches+, but then again I've done the same w/ fathead trout-minnows/rosy reds too.

If you really want some fun, try fly-casting a live cricket or other local insect that will stay in one piece on a hook. Unlikestandard fly-fishing, this method of live-baiting excludes false-casting, and you just make 1 long gentle cast and leave it, or if you have an abundance of bait, you can do some line-stripping as well. Big bass on fly tackle is great....mostly effective in the hot summer months

Some other option to try are small eels up to maybe 14-18 inches, but they are to be casted and retrieved slowly or they find a hole or a crevice and hang you up. Largemouth, Striped bass and Wipers will appreciate that presentation, while if you want to target bass with a side of Walleye, Leeches should be on the menu. Mind you, Horse-leeches are useless for fishing. To find out if you have Horse-leeches, place all your leeches outside in a bucket half-full of water an the ones that crawl out overnight are the horse-leeches. Take what's left in the bucket and have fun. Useful fishig leeches won't leave the water or can't climb....not sure which, but that's how you figure out the good ones from the bad ones.
EDIT - something screwed up my post,then it wouldn't let me edit it. Fixed. :) I underlined the part I fixed

harms.whey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Dang, guys! A whole lot of info here. Haha. I appreciate that. I'm a little conflicted now, hearing about the different types of lines and their pros and cons. I would have walked in to Bass Pro, and just picked up something in the midrange pricing and left none the wiser without knowing what to look for. Braid sounds the most durable, but if I'm bass fishing, I assume a heavier mono or FC will do the trick? Anything that's going to give me the least amount of problems at the best price point is really what I'm looking for. I'm not a pro angler (yet…), so I don't need to spend hundreds on a rig just yet. Not to mention the wife wouldn't be too happy with me. :D

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I wouldn't go much lighter than 12lb test in Texas - the state record is in the 18lb-range and 10-12 pounders are not uncommon. If you're fishing heavy cover like veggie-mats, I'd go heavier like 14lb, 17lb, or even 20lb test. This is why I recommend baitcasting reels, since a spinning reel capable of holding 120 yds of 14lb test weighs 5 times more and is at least 3 times bulkier than a baitcaster able to do the same if not more. You really won't see too many Pro-anglers using spinning reels for big Largemouth bass. Smallmouth fishing is much different, as your goal is finesse and presentation in and around rocks and gravel bars, as opposed to "horsing" a beast out off thick lily pads or water hyacinths - in heavy cover you really have no room or time to play the fish out before it hangs you up. Add a stiff graphite 6-7 foot casting rod (preferably 2-handed casting, pistol-grip doesn't offer much in the leverage department.) and you got yourself a weapon for the Basspocalypse :p Bass-kicking power......emptying out a Bass-hole.......giving a Fatherly Bass-whoopin' to those Bass-tards........ok, I think that's good enough LOL

For beginners, the best way to learn to use and improve accuracy with a baitcasting outfit, tie on a simple dipsy weight ,nothing else, take it out in your yard and cast until you can pinpoint a target and do so without getting backlash. To control the speed of the spool, SOME baitcasters have a magnetic drag; the other knob on the side of the reel is the spool tension control. Toying around with it in between casts will give you an idea how fast you want line to come off the reel when casting. Finally, your THUMB on the spool is your MVP-tool. DO NOT allow the spool to keep spinning after the bait hits the water. Stop the spool with your thumb a second before the bait touches down. The magnetic drag and spool tensioner may need to be readjusted after changing baits or lures with a different weight of the previous one.

If you do get "Backlash" - when the spool keeps spinning after the line stops moving - the best choice to untangle is a crocheting hook..... NEVER pull the main line or attempt to cut the tangle out. All tangles can be undone with a little patience - and I do mean ALL of them. Always start with the loop closest to the main line and work the spool back and forth manually as you follow the tangle with your eyes - a few light pulls here and there may be helpful, but don't pull hard or it just gets worse. You'll get the hang of it with time.

It took me a awhile to learn, but now that I have them mastered, I'll never go back to a spinning reel if I'm using a line 12lb test or more, unless I'm surf-casting.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjam93
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store