Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Some of you may have heard of or seen sporadically posted photos of this new color morph already. Below are photos taken of juveniles I have on hand and immediately available for shipping.
They are 1-1.25" @ 36 ea or >5 lots @ 32 ea.

How does this sport come to look like this?
It's actually more complicated than breeding an electric blue with a gold dempsey. There were years of selective breeding over several generations to fix this color morph.
One of the original breeders of the electric blue dempsey has been working with the fish and this is one of the results of his labor.
More on this after the photos!

elec.pink1.jpg

elec.pink3.jpg

elec.pink4.jpg

elec.pink6.jpg

elec.pink2.jpg

elec.pink8.jpg

elec.pink.jpg

elec.pink7.jpg

elec.pink5.jpg

Photos appear a little dark as the flash reflected back highly off them. At least I was able to not flash out all the color by using less brightness in above photos.

And for reference, here are some photos of the adult electric pink dempsey taken by the breeder, my friend Alejandro.

elec.pink.adult2.jpg

elec.pink.adult1.jpg

elec.pink.adult3.jpg

They truly are beautiful fish. Reminds me of some of the more colorful Lepomis (North American sunfish) species. Speaking of the outrageously colorful sunfish, I wish to point out that I will be addressing more on the upcoming availability of some of those beauties in a later thread!

This will date me a bit, but that's ok - I don't mind sharing a little history if you care to read about it.

I remember driving to JFK Airport the morning of September 11, 2001 to pick up a shipment of electric blue dempsey that was shipped to me from Argentina.
From the NJ Turnpike, I suddenly and clearly saw one of the Twin Towers with a smoking plane sticking out of it.
Traffic came to crawl. Radio reports were buzzing. Then the other tower was struck and flames could be seen.
It was mayhem on the road and reports were coming in on the radio of additional attacks.
The turnpike was closed and drivers were turned around at the Goethals Bridge crossing. I'm thankful because drivers on the other side of the crossings (closer to NYC) were stranded from lock down of major roads for many hours.
By the time I was turned around and headed away from NYC, one of the towers collapsed in clear view. The giant cloud of smoke and dust had begun to spread and cover the area.

So many were not so lucky. I am very sorry for them and their families. It shakes me up to think back on that day of tragedy and the ensuing events to follow.
If speaking of this event spurs deep emotions within readers, you are not alone.

I am not sorry to bring this up though. It happened and it permanently effected all of us. My wife (whom I did not know as yet) was there at ground zero each day for a week helping to provide food for rescue workers.
I don't claim to have been of any immediate help.
I clung to my kids at home, watched the news, and tried to make sense of it all.

After 3 days, I was able to go back to JFK and retrieve that shipment of electric blue dempsey. Amazingly, most survived.
That person who shipped me those fish is the very same breeder that has developed the electric pink dempsey - Alejandro.

Some of you may know this already, and I will not repeat the history of electric blue dempsey here and now.
However, the original breeder of the electric blue morph, the late Hector Luzardo of Argentina, first supplied me with his stock back in 2000.
I was the first and exclusive world wide distributor of his blues.

See below print from 35 mm roll of film containing original photos I took of the 2nd import of blues into the US.
Noticing the date on the print, that was just about 14 years ago this month.

blues35mil.jpg

The first blues to enter the US were actually shipped to me out of Uruguay!
It's true. Felipe Cantera was shipping wild Uruguay fish to me by then. His friend/photographer was a friend of Hector in Argentina. He placed a few blues in a shipment for me to check out.
Wow! I followed up on those and began a long relationship and Hector, his wife, and their son.

So speaking of Uruguay fish, here are a few goodies I have on hand from that neck of the woods.

rhab.valen1.jpg

merid.norte.jpg

tira.fem.jpg

tira.male.jpg

Gorgeous Gymnogeophagus species!
Each are 2.5-3" size range @ 18 ea or >4 @ 15 ea.

Notice the striped tail of rhabdotus and spangled tail of meridionalis.
For reference, that is a way to tell these two species apart at a glance.
But many local geographic races/undescribed species of similar Gymnos exist that don't cleanly fall into either above category.

I've had the pleasure of traveling to Uruguay and collecting fish with Felipe several years ago. What a trip that was! So many beautiful cichlids in just about every waterway from the smallest of streams and upwards.

One of our travel mates, Tom, is a police detective and sketch artist of the highest caliber.
He was so kind as to preserve this memory in a sketch. That would be Felipe removing a Rineloricaria from my mouth.
That story was told on this site once before:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?202317-January-09-Another-month-another-contest!/page3

RappsCatfish.jpg

As always, your best means of reaching me with any inquiries or questions is to email directly at bigguapote1@verizon.net
You can always view my most updated stock list posted at the TUIC web site.

elec.pink1.jpg

elec.pink3.jpg

elec.pink4.jpg

elec.pink6.jpg

elec.pink2.jpg

elec.pink.jpg

elec.pink7.jpg

elec.pink5.jpg

elec.pink8.jpg

elec.pink.adult2.jpg

elec.pink.adult1.jpg

elec.pink.adult3.jpg