Is 520 gallon enough for one Florida gar?

Indoraptor230

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
4D9A2E48-E3D8-4489-A854-79BF8F65A4BB.jpeg
Is 520 gallons enough for one Florida gar? If not how much time can a 45cm individual live in it?

Basically I’ve been wanting to get this 45cm Florida gar from a guy that is selling it for 100€ that can’t keep it any more since he’s got only a 145 gallon tank if not less and the gar has grown too much. I would be keeping it in this 520 pool pond full of plants and done in a very naturalistic way that is inside an outdoor structure, since I’m located in Italy, in the winter it arrives at 15ºC which would be perfect for a gar because in nature they live up to the cold 11ºC in North America. I wanted to know if it is enough gallons for the Florida gar, if it isn’t I would like to know in how much time I should upgrade. Thanks!
(The gar in the picture isn’t the exact individual, it’s just for attention).

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
View attachment 1538880
Is 520 gallons enough for one Florida gar? If not how much time can a 45cm individual live in it?

Basically I’ve been wanting to get this 45cm Florida gar from a guy that is selling it for 100€ that can’t keep it any more since he’s got only a 145 gallon tank if not less and the gar has grown too much. I would be keeping it in this 520 pool pond full of plants and done in a very naturalistic way that is inside an outdoor structure, since I’m located in Italy, in the winter it arrives at 15ºC which would be perfect for a gar because in nature they live up to the cold 11ºC in North America. I wanted to know if it is enough gallons for the Florida gar, if it isn’t I would like to know in how much time I should upgrade. Thanks!
(The gar in the picture isn’t the exact individual, it’s just for attention).
What are the dimensions and tank mates? IMO 520 should be good.

Reactions: tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
You should be fine, apparently the size they can get is around 3 feet, if your tank/pond is 4 feet wide then you'll be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store