Is a wave maker necessary?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I have a FX6 on my 210. Is a wave maker necessary? If so any recommendations on how many watts etc?

I have a silver arowana, black ghost knife fish and 2 bichirs so far.

Reactions: tlindsey

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
I have an fx4 an fx6 and a wave maker all on my 150 gallon tank. I would not say that all that is necessary. It just depends on your fish. I have never kept Arowana as or knife fish so I don’t know if they like high flow or not my bichir doesn’t seem to care. If the fx6 is working now I would just stick with that.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I have a FX6 on my 210. Is a wave maker necessary? If so any recommendations on how many watts etc?

I have a silver arowana, black ghost knife fish and 2 bichirs so far.
The silver arowana would appreciate a wavemaker, the knife fish and bichirs; not so much.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
It depends on what you want out of it. I have a wavemaker that was gifted to me that I didn't really need for flow, but I set it up on a timer, it kicks on once a day for an hour or 2, can't remember what i set it at, but it blows across the bootom and stirs up any debris stuck in the corners or beside decor, gets it back into the water column so the filter can pull more out. But it's more flow than I would want constantly running with my stock.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To determine whether or not any fish "needs" a wave maker.
Although ........."Need" is a bit of a relative term
Look a videos, or photos that show what the natural habitat your particular fish lives in.
Does water move in a linear fashion? Is the fish riverine, or does it prefer sedate pools?
If they come from environs that look like these......they probably "need" a wave maker
bc324165-b26e-4bbb-a691-5b463e2176be.jpegIMG_2858.jpegIMG_2853.jpeg
I keep fish that come from habitats similar to the ones above, so beside the flow from my sump.
IMG_0773.jpeg
I add wave makers half way down the side of thank where flow starts to ebb..
IMG_4041.jpeg
But if the fish you keep come from waters like the two shots below, the term "need" may be an overstatement.
IMG_0167.jpegIMG_2427.jpeg
Then again, if their natural waters are similar to the moderate flow below....
IMG_0488.jpegIMG_3549.jpeg
A small wave maker that adds extra oxygenation may also be advantageous.
And can come in handy if a filter gets plugged, and slows, or fails, it can take up the slack until the main unit gets fixed of replaced

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store