Is handling freshwater puffer with bare hand that has no spike dangerous?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I sometimes trim my puffers’ teeth tabs I use no glove. My wife tells me that the puffers could transmit poison other their skin even if it is smooth and has no spikes. I searched the net and did not find any proof of this statement.
I would appreciate your insight in this matter.
is it dangerous for me to handle the puffers with my bare hands? Could they really harm me ?
IMG_8023.jpeg

Tyler Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2023
Unless you eat your puffer fish (which I wouldn't recommend doing) or getting spiked (which you said the puffer had no spines) your fine.

Reactions: professorjimjam

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You are more of a risk to the fish than they are to you. Any oils or contaminants on your hands could harm the puffer (especially being a scaleless fish). It’s best to wear gloves with fish for that reason. I wouldn’t worry about getting poisoned by the puffer. I’m pretty sure it’s only the boxfish/cowfish/trunkfish that can release toxins.

Reactions: professorjimjam

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
You are more of a risk to the fish than they are to you. Any oils or contaminants on your hands could harm the puffer (especially being a scaleless fish). It’s best to wear gloves with fish for that reason. I wouldn’t worry about getting poisoned by the puffer. I’m pretty sure it’s only the boxfish/cowfish/trunkfish that can release toxins.
thank you very much Deadeye! Much appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store