Is this a leucistic 25?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I got three very small L25s last year, only about one inch long, but I can only see two now. Not sure if one did not survive. But the two remaining are now about two and a half inches long.

One of them is a nice looking fish for its size, and if I can grow it out should be quite impressive.

The other one, I thought was ill when I was looking at it a while ago. But actually, I think it looks great, and will be quite unusual when it is bigger. The red is showing nicely on seven points and the body, but the black is really minimal.

Is this a leucistic 25? Have I got anything rare here, or are there lots of them?

Here are both. Rather fuzzy pictures I am afraid.

b.jpg

a.jpg

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Any updates on the colouration of the fish? Hesitant to call it a leucistic due to younger L025 juvies sometimes taking on a paler, blotched pattern, but there's far more lighter-coloured pigment on your fish than I'm used to seeing in said blotched specimens. Have you tried moving the fish over onto black substrate?

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Any updates...?
Yes, and I am embarrassed to post that I do not think it is really leucistic.

The good new is that I have got all my three L25s, and they have grown considerably. Even though it is rare to see all three at once. And the better news is that they are all seven pointers.

But the one which was washed out a month ago, isn't now. He is a good colour, and in a few years may be stunning.

Very difficult getting pictures. Here are two really fuzzy pics. The first picture is the one in question, or at least, its fin behind some driftwood. The second picture is one of the other two.

I will post some better pictures, as and when I can get them.
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
They are getting bigger, two of them much. So I have moved them to a bigger tank.

They are all three very nice, and I think in a couple of years possibly fantastic.

But all three have normal pigmentation. Not a trace of leucism. Don't know why one of them faded out a few weeks ago.

aIMG_20230831_085712.jpg

aIMG_20230831_085725.jpg

aIMG_20230831_085754.jpg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Interested to know if the larger one on the left turn out to be/is male and the larger one on the right female.
My own very crude guess is based on head shape and pelvic fins, which I know is not really a common way of identifying sex thing for these fish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store