It’s finally happening, but it’s actually happening

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Darters would be fun, but not sure about the habitat. Don’t they need fast, running water and lots of hides? Sunfish are aggressive from what I’ve heard.

I have small fish ideas like a shoal of Red Shiners, or a couple Dojo Loaches, but maybe a group of fish that could get a good size. Something uncommon in the hobby, resilient to cold water, and reaches 1+ feet.

The dimensions at the moment are roughly an 11’x7’ and 3.5-4’ deep, which is around 2k gallons.
kendragon kendragon thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Maybe a group of royal clown loach? They do well in similar temperatures to koi.
Only caveat is that they prefer fast flowing water. So there will have to be powerheads in parts of the pond to give them that (alongside calm spots to rest ofc).

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
As of now there will be light flow from a water fall. I’ve glanced at a couple fish that I think would be cool to have, though seem a little far fetched.

-European Perch
-White Sucker
-Yellow Perch

Don’t Chinese High-fin Sharks get massive? Is there another species like them that get smaller? I like the ideas Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16 , thanks!

Reactions: Deadeye

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
sunfish are also beautiful. I used to have a black bullhead catfish. they stay quite small (30cm )and will do well in cold temperatures

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
A concern about catfish is the spines in the fins. They could puncture the pond liner, and I don’t want to take that risk. As for sunfish, are they aggressive?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
A concern about catfish is the spines in the fins. They could puncture the pond liner, and I don’t want to take that risk. As for sunfish, are they aggressive?
Lay a tarp over the pond liner as protection for it, The tarp itself isn't waterproof but it'll help protect the liner. If you have a substrate as well, you wouldn't reallly need to worry about them puncturing it, and the tarp would protect the sides

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Lay a tarp over the pond liner as protection for it, The tarp itself isn't waterproof but it'll help protect the liner. If you have a substrate as well, you wouldn't reallly need to worry about them puncturing it, and the tarp would protect the sides
Not sure how that would work. I looked at suckers as an alternative to catfish, not plecos, but fish like White Suckers or Bridgemouth Suckers. Does anyone know anything about them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store