I've changed my mind about Channa Vs Wolf

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Despite the photo showing the micropeltes with it's tail bitten off by the wolf, I am sure that an aggressive species of channa vs a hoplias, the same weight, the channa wins hands down.

My two 6 inch oscars hold their own against my 8.5 inch wolf fish. Sometimes the wolf bites their tails, and they bite back and mark his body.

And whenever he goes to bite them or flares his gills they do a sort of defensive manoever, where they float above the wolf on their sides so he can't actually get his jaws around them. It works too, they are clever fish.

Anyway they can give as good as they get against this wolf, and yet one of those oscars was outmatched against my 6 inch channa, which is about 1/4 of their weight. I've netted them all recently and the channa is MUCH lighter and much skinnier.

Yet when I tried the channa with an oscar, he darted around the tank repeatedly striking the oscar, and although the oscar fought back bravely - he was outgunned. The channa was too quick, too vicious and too accurate. I quickly seperated them before any damage was done.

For a channa to weigh the same as my wolf I'd imagine he'd have to be going on 12 inches, and I would honestly pick a 12 inch micro or striata to wipe the tank with a 8/9 inch wolf.

Daniel R Colburn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
shakopee mn
well our oscar must be alot tougher then mine i had a red devil that did some damage to the oscar and after he recorvered from that my red head did a number on him maybe you could tell me would a 8 to9 in wolf go with my 8 in red head cichid by the way my oscar is 12inch wimp

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
And whenever he goes to bite them or flares his gills they do a sort of defensive manoever, where they float above the wolf on their sides so he can't actually get his jaws around them. It works too, they are clever fish.
lol, thats exactly what my male JD does when the female tries to bite him :ROFL:
in that relationship SHE wears the pants....figureatively speaking

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
I THINK THE REDBALLY PARANHA, IT IS VERY FEROSHJOUS AND COULD EAT A SANKE HEAD AND OSCAR AND WLOF FISH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store