January '09 : Another month, another contest!

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Stan Sung has a wonderful (not) photograph of Felipe smiling from ear to ear with a very dead Rhineloricarid gripped by the tail in his pliers and dripping of my blood and saliva.
Crazy!!!! LOL

FYI - Email sent...

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
What???????????
Missed this one....and I had the answer for the questions....:ROFL:
Jeff....you should see Corina's face when I told her about the name of your Karelsk dog....she is very....very....proud!!!
(we have a new one...Mateo...2 months....maybe something for your next dog?.....please...try with a GREYHOUND this time!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hug!!!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Felipe Cantera;2600108; said:
What???????????
Missed this one....and I had the answer for the questions....:ROFL:
Jeff....you should see Corina's face when I told her about the name of your Karelsk dog....she is very....very....proud!!!
(we have a new one...Mateo...2 months....maybe something for your next dog?.....please...try with a GREYHOUND this time!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hug!!!
Hey Felipe!
Congratulations on your new son!
Many US collectors have been down to see you and everyone I speak with is VERY happy about their stay by you in Uruguay.
Yes, you probably know about the breed of dog I have. They are more popular in Sweden and Finland.
Great to see you on the site. Who told you to look here?! I extend a warm thank you to that person.

To anyone reading this that is considering going collecting for South American cichlids, killies, catfish, etc. - I highly recommend a trip to Uruguay with Felipe, the one and only Uruguay eco tourism guide, resident fish expert, professional bare back horse rider, genuinely kind, and quick with the pliers when you need them the most kind of guy!

Here is the web page that will lead you to an unforgetable and most wonderful journey through Uruguay http://www.aqvaterra.com/index.php

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
Absolutely beautiful dog you have there. She looks like a balck and white sister to my red and white Basenji. Although her coat looks thicker. Basenji's are also a very primitve breed originating in West Africa. I wonder if they are closely related?

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
toomanyfishes;2643689; said:
Absolutely beautiful dog you have there. She looks like a balck and white sister to my red and white Basenji. Although her coat looks thicker. Basenji's are also a very primitve breed originating in West Africa. I wonder if they are closely related?
Awesome dog, the Bensenji! That's the 'barkless' dog! I've never met one face to muzzle, but I just know I'd like them too. Just like with the KBD, your dog needs a dominant (firm, consistant, but kind) master, or individuals of these breeds can become a less than desirable pet. This much you surely know already.
I doubt they are anything but most distantly related to a common ancestral canine. However, we've both got very able, active, beautiful breeds of dogs that also like to chew things!

Hey, I do fish stuff for work most every day. Would you always want to 'talk shop' when the work day is over?
Dogs (have 2) and cats (have 7) are more than welcome topics of endlesss amusement and conversation. Fish (stopped counting many years ago!) are great and will always take most of my energy and time up. But if you want to talk canines and felines, I'm in!

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
bigguapote;2657338; said:
"I doubt they are anything but most distantly related to a common ancestral canine. "

Yes...like some of what we call (in spanish) "Galgos" (the old spanish version of the Greyhound), the Podenco Ibicenco or the african Azawakh, Sloughi + some of the "working" (shepperds) from old Soviet Union...

"Hey, I do fish stuff for work most every day. Would you always want to 'talk shop' when the work day is over?
Dogs (have 2) and cats (have 7) are more than welcome topics of endlesss amusement and conversation. Fish (stopped counting many years ago!) are great and will always take most of my energy and time up. But if you want to talk canines and felines, I'm in!
"

Me too....before the trips....(I mean when I had the time..:(), we had 12 dogs...and worked as dog trainer....+ a lot of dogracing!
A horse + 2 Greyhounds for hunting...that's maybe the only thing who can keep me away from the collecting...:WHOA:

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
bigguapote;2657338; said:
Awesome dog, the Bensenji! That's the 'barkless' dog! I've never met one face to muzzle, but I just know I'd like them too. Just like with the KBD, your dog needs a dominant (firm, consistant, but kind) master, or individuals of these breeds can become a less than desirable pet. This much you surely know already.
I doubt they are anything but most distantly related to a common ancestral canine. However, we've both got very able, active, beautiful breeds of dogs that also like to chew things!

Hey, I do fish stuff for work most every day. Would you always want to 'talk shop' when the work day is over?

Yes! That's right the barkless breed; no barking, although they are far from noiseless. Barron makes the strangest noises and boy is he a talker as he howls and yodels when I walk in the door.

And you are correct on the pack leader relationship as well. He definately needs the dominant , firm and consitent master. I swear he believes he is second in command over the others in our house. My wife, 2 children(11 yo twins), Lulu the Jack Russell (definate dominance issues there) and Lester the bully cat who will often challenge Barron with a swat across the muzzle and a chase around the house (Barron often loses these battles) will all kow tow to his majesty the Red Barron.

Definately a certain resemblance in the 2 breeds and also most definately a close link to a common ancestral canine.

All told, we are definately very passionate about our animal friends here at our house, and thanks to your pics of Corina, that I happened to show my wife (big mistake), she now has the KBD at the top of her Christmas wish list for next year. My wife is definately crazy about her dogs like I am crazy about my fish in the 'mancave'.

:screwy:Ok, I am officially rambling now, somebody stop me, and whatever you do don't get me started on takling about all the fish, come and gone. I sure do have some stories to tell there as well. Like the Jardini Arow turned Scooby snack :eek:.......................... I'm still to traumatized to even go ther right now.

Picture 053.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store