Koi adventure at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue, Naples, FL

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Dang Viktor wonderful work you do. You should have a gofundme page for for time to time contributors. I would love to donate whatever I can at the time when I can to this, I love what your doing and hopefully one day me and my brotha Troy can go visit your facility

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, guys, for your heartfelt support.

Dang Viktor wonderful work you do. You should have a gofundme page for for time to time contributors. I would love to donate whatever I can at the time when I can to this, I love what your doing and hopefully one day me and my brotha Troy can go visit your facility
Anytime! And thank you for the awefully kind thought, which is a tad too much to bear :) but I appreciate it all the same. (Goes back in his corner and cries a little.) :D

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As I was catching and moving koi into their new place I noted how full of eggs and milt they are. Surely they started spawning in the new exhibit the very next day and have been doing it on and off for two weeks now.

IIRC an average 3' adult carp female is able to carry half a million to million and a half of eggs. Mine are much smaller but boy it's still a lot of eggs and they throw them around. The eggs are adhesive. The walls, the windows are covered in dried up eggs now. Whatever was left within reach, they ate up.

I wish I had the time to see if i could separate the eggs and hatch'em.

The ammonia has never gone over 1 ppm and with the help of liquid concentrated Ammo-lock, that was fine. It's been at zero for the last week even as I started with light feeding (earning their badly broken trust again). Never saw nitrite yet.

Spawn's a messy, slimy business and it's been clogging up my aquasock / shower head quickly. Most days I had to keep the flow at 1/3-1/2 capacity and still vacuum the sock 2-3 and up to 4-5 times a day (every 2-3 hours) and keep the flow at 1/5th capacity at night.

As I stated in the video, the aquasock fabric now lays straight on the eggcrate panels, no rubber liner in between.

koi eggs.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is now I was rehoming the koi into their new exhibit plus the feeding video in and out of water:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The exhibit has been running around 4-5 months now. We are still working on the pavilion that will enclose the 25,000 gal exhibit and also our 15,000 gal biofilter and water reserve.

Have lost about 3 koi so far (out of 110-115 koi), 2 goldfish, and one shubunkin. Not sure why except old age and/or a lot of stress complicated by medicating against all parasites through feed with praziquantel, metronidazole, and fenbendazole mix.

One of our favorites, the friendly chagoi unexpectedly passed on. It was a female. Reached ~22" in the 10 years with us from a baby size.

100_8181.JPG

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The exhibit has been running around 4-5 months now. We are still working on the pavilion that will enclose the 25,000 gal exhibit and also our 15,000 gal biofilter and water reserve.

Have lost about 3 koi so far (out of 110-115 koi), 2 goldfish, and one shubunkin. Not sure why except old age and/or a lot of stress complicated by medicating against all parasites through feed with praziquantel, metronidazole, and fenbendazole mix.

One of our favorites, the friendly chagoi unexpectedly passed on. It was a female. Reached ~22" in the 10 years with us from a baby size.

View attachment 1332187
Not a bad amount of fish to lose out of that many, however I very much doubt they died of old age unless you have a bunch of goldfish over 25 yrs, rip chagoi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store