Koi question can you give me your opinion?

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
So I'm located in the Cleveland Ohio area and if you don't know it gets pretty cold during the winter I have an above ground pond about a thousand gallons insulated bottom and insulated walls on the pond.
I have 10 koi anywhere from 5 in to 10 in in my basement right now since I just got them about 2 weeks ago.
My question really to all of you is what's your opinion on leaving koi outside during the winter?
I understand they should be fine but would you recommend it?
I filled the pond probably about 3 weeks ago and it had a steady temperature around 42°. I added a 300 watt heater for the heck of it so my filter and now it's consistently at 50° so I guess my last part to this post would be if I could keep it around 40° during the heart of the winter do you think I'll be okay just leaving them out there and of course not feeding them during that time.
Looking forward to all your opinions thank you very much!! Also I add some pics of the two bubo koi, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on their look as well thank you once again!

IMG_20230227_161256_01.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-16-22-00-50-94_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-16-22-00-44-47_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

IMG20230216213007.jpg

IMG20230216212945.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I'm located in the Cleveland Ohio area and if you don't know it gets pretty cold during the winter I have an above ground pond about a thousand gallons insulated bottom and insulated walls on the pond.
I have 10 koi anywhere from 5 in to 10 in in my basement right now since I just got them about 2 weeks ago.
My question really to all of you is what's your opinion on leaving koi outside during the winter?
I understand they should be fine but would you recommend it?
I filled the pond probably about 3 weeks ago and it had a steady temperature around 42°. I added a 300 watt heater for the heck of it so my filter and now it's consistently at 50° so I guess my last part to this post would be if I could keep it around 40° during the heart of the winter do you think I'll be okay just leaving them out there and of course not feeding them during that time.
Looking forward to all your opinions thank you very much!! Also I add some pics of the two bubo koi, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on their look as well thank you once again!

View attachment 1513860

View attachment 1513861

View attachment 1513862

View attachment 1513863

View attachment 1513864
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: Hellothere116

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What are the pond inside dimensions? It doesn't look like 1000 gal.

As long as the pond doesn't freeze all the way to the bottom and as long as there is a breathing hole for bad gases to escape and for oxygen to enter, the koi overwinter under ice usually successfully. Of course it is a huge stress but they are built to handle it. Yet, like any stress, it can sicken or kill, especially when aided by other sources of stress.

I don't quite see the question. Are you asking if you can leave the pond outside during winters? (How are you going to get it out of your basement - does it fit through doors?) If so, I'd think you need to satisfy the two conditions mentioned above and you could try.

Koi must not be fed when the water cools to 55F and below, if memory serves.

Nice koromo, or whatever that kind is, for a pond (low) grade koi, it seems, but I am not that proficient to be listened to.

Ohio Fish Rescue is in your backyard. You can always consult with them. They know this inside and out.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
the inner dimensions are 8' by 5' 3' tall making the outer 103'' by 67'' and 40'' tall, its like 950gallons.
I plan on keeping it running in the winter and would bring the fish inside, im just trying to find out about if ppl have away to keep there above ponds temp up during the winter.
and Big Rich hes my dude! and a busy man!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Most people just use floating pond de-icers to keep the surface from freezing over but that won’t heat your pond warm enough.

You might want to look into industrial immersion heaters but it will take a lot of power

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
the inner dimensions are 8' by 5' 3' tall making the outer 103'' by 67'' and 40'' tall, its like 950gallons.
I plan on keeping it running in the winter and would bring the fish inside, im just trying to find out about if ppl have away to keep there above ponds temp up during the winter.
and Big Rich hes my dude! and a busy man!
Thank you. 8x5x3 comes to 882 gal, so close, yes, but not 1000.

Keeping a tropical temp pond in temperate climate has been done. One but highly prominent example I know of is Ted of anythingfish.com, who kept an 8000 gal tropical pond/tank outdoors year round in Seattle, heavily insulated, lots of work, lots of heating $ but can be done, sure, and he is a shoestringer, like most of us, no millionaire. Now he disappeared years ago (he was an older dude) and the site folded but his legacy lives on. Perhaps you can find the info online somewhere if his site is gone. I know I described his experience several times to different people on this forum.

My hats off and my best to my big brothers Rich and Josh.

There is also a more recent thread on here about "the cheapest way to heat or keep heated a pond in Florida" or some such, which may still relate to the slightly cooler Ohio :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store