Lima shovel nose size??

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone had any idea just how big a lima shovel nose cat gets? I have heard conflicting reports of 12-24". I thought they were a small version of the tiger shovel. Also do you think my freshwater morey eel would be safe? He is about 12" long now and the lima that I am looking at is about 9" long but they are supposed to be fast growers. any input?

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
I personally haven't seen a lima hit 24" yet, but i don't doubt they could, and it would take a long time. They can definitely hit over 12", the largest that i've seen was ~ 16".

As for the moray, your lima wouldn't bother it, besides, it hides all day doesn't it? Your lima will probably slow down in growth at that size.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
The problem with freshwater morays, is that they really aren't freshwater... its a lame marketing ploy used by lfses to generate sales. If you keep the eel in freshwater, it will have increased susceptibility to disease, general body stress, and its lifespan will be cut.
here's a link with more info on this matter
http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwmorayeels.htm

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
thanks for the link!! I did find that out after I bought my Moray but it is in way better shape than it was in my lfs.. Although I don't have it in absolute brackish water I do keep the recommended amount of aquarium salt in my tank, even though some people frown on the use of salt all the time I am somewhat forced to since I love the eel and I can't afford to set up a 55gal brackish tank for him.. you will be happy to know that in the 2 months since I have had him he has grown 2" and eats like a pig. I have heard that freshwater morays can be very picky eaters but thats not the case with mine.. The pet store owner didn't even know he had it and haden't fed it in a month. It was eating fish droppings when I saw it.. thanks . Another question on the lima cat are they aggressive towards plecos? I have a gold nugget that I also don't want to find in a fishes belly.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
I truly believe that there are two species of lima shovelnose, one which is commonly available and only grows 16-18" while the other species is more rare and can grow 24".

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
biggest i ever seen was around 14-15"
lfs over here always has big fat limas

Neo Baron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
yea thats a lima i used to have one till my green terrors killed it but mine got to be about 8 inches and i know that they get to about 14.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store