Lost my favorite hen

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
My favorite hen was killed by a hawk yesterday. She would have been ok if she had run for cover but she was protecting babies that didnt know to run. Left me with six little ones from a mixed clutch. I tried getting some of my other hens to take them but its been a no go. She was the only one in my flock that was good about adopting. I don't like raising them myself. It takes them longer to figure out how to be a chicken when I do it.

RIP Margret you were a great mom and a wonderful companion.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My favorite hen was killed by a hawk yesterday. She would have been ok if she had run for cover but she was protecting babies that didnt know to run. Left me with six little ones from a mixed clutch. I tried getting some of my other hens to take them but its been a no go. She was the only one in my flock that was good about adopting. I don't like raising them myself. It takes them longer to figure out how to be a chicken when I do it.

View attachment 1366705

RIP Margret you were a great mom and a wonderful companion.

Sorry to hear that.

Reactions: Go_redfish

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Sorry for your loss, the babies are very cute though, particularly the little dark ones. May I ask what kind of chicken Margaret was?

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Sorry for your loss, the babies are very cute though, particularly the little dark ones. May I ask what kind of chicken Margaret was?
She was a buff Orpington. Only three of the babies were actually hers. The other three were some she adopted. A neighbor bought them for his kids but they decided after 24hrs that they poop too much... Go figure! Who knew birds poop!? Moron. I won't know what breed the dark ones are until they grow up.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
She was a buff Orpington. Only three of the babies were actually hers. The other three were some she adopted. A neighbor bought them for his kids but they decided after 24hrs that they poop too much... Go figure! Who knew birds poop!? Moron. I won't know what breed the dark ones are until they grow up.
They poop too much... :shakehead

I'd like to see what the little dark ones turn in to if you can be bothered sharing when they grow up.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
They poop too much... :shakehead

I'd like to see what the little dark ones turn in to if you can be bothered sharing when they grow up.

Thinking the two darkest ones might be buckeyes. (I have a buckeye hen and she looked just like this as a chick) The little red one could be one of many breeds. Rhode Island, new hampshire, partridrige rock... Won't know on that one til its grown but those are the most common reds found here. They are coming along pretty well. Feathers are coming in and they are putting on weight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to hear about Margaret. Did the hawk manage to carry her off?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store