Lost my Green Scat today :(

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
Thread is almost eight years old and pretty much long gone; not much point in resurrecting it.
Though scats tend to require brackish, I have witnessed firsthand a small school of massive green and silver scats in pure fresh with African cichlids (and no, they weren't tiger scats). Owner of the tank had apparently grown them out for many years with zero losses, despite the odd choice of fish and water. Seems as though high TDS and pH were the key to keeping them alive in fresh.
The brackish 'requirement' was always well-known, at least from what I could see in stores many years ago. Don't think it's necessarily true, but I don't think it'd be recommended to avoid salt if one doesn't know what they're doing.
Thanks for solving the mystery Sherlock, and just in the nick of time
Saw a gigantic plate size African mono in freshwater exhibit with kissing gouramis and other large fish at Busch Gardens Florida in the Asia exhibits. Must have been over 5yrs old to be that big.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
man i know this mustve hurt, was heartbroken when i lost my old scat. I typically transfer them from marine to freshwater tanks every 6-8 months when keeping them. Mine unfortunately fell victim to a new tankmate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store