Luciobarbus brachycephalus, aka Aral barbel or Caspian barbel

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tough community tank you got there. Certain mahseers are more jerks than other mahseers.
Right on Ken. I was able to only leave the two putitora (now 2.5'), progenious (2'), khudree (2'), and malabaricus/khudree (2') in the 25K. They haven't bothered the std fin koi (not that I have noticed yet). Long fin koi are usually more seducing and appetizing to aggressors; I adopted all those longfins out anyway.

Soro, douronensis, and stratcheyi had to go back into the 4500 - they were biting the koi even when full, bastards! Less sure about the stratcheyi but possible. Soro and Thai rose/Thai gold/douronensis for sure were the worst to the koi... and to many others, both in the 25K and 4.5K.

Since then, as you might know khudree died in the 25K and stratcheyi in the 4.5K.

Any updates, Viktor? I am aware they are hard to film or photograp in the 25000 :)
One Aral barbel is thriving, pushing 3 feet now, well at least 2.5 feet for sure. The other started withering a few years back, stopped growing, got thinner, the fins degraded, especially the tail fin got thin, pinkish-transparent. Often when I throw feed in the tank, it would undergo some violent seizures (?!) swimming madly around, shaking and convulsing, then it passes and the fish still manages to go back to feeding. I thought maybe internal parasites, brain worm? Isolated in QT, treated with praziquantel, metronidazole, and fenbendazole through feed. It fed well in QT, despite being unhappy about lack of space and trying to jump out, get away from me approaching the QT tank (120 gal). After several weeks released back into the 25K. Nothing changed much. Still struggling and having seizures, whether same frequency or less, hard to tell. It feeds okay-ish but it's thin and looks sickly, especially versus its thriving brother / sister.

Been overdue for an update, you are right. :) Will try to get some visuals.

Reactions: celebrist

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The smaller, struggling, thin and sickly 1.5'-2' barbel disappeared in the 25K last week (!) and the wels had a suspicious break in feeding and a bump in the belly. I'm rather sure it ate the barbel. Dead or alive - I can't know. I hope and pray dead. Because there are plenty of other live and lively fish it could swallow in the 25K but hasn't yet.

We got five 3"-ers from Predatory Fins. Enviable appetites. Wanna chomp down everything. Strongly prefer minced silverside to pellets but in the absence of the silverside happily chomp on the pellets, don't care - sinking NLS or floating Hikari, smell out, go to the surface and grab 'em, chew extra, extra thoroughly, as their mommy taught 'em. Then play in the strong current for hours on end.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Road trip to Predatory Fins, Boca Raton, Florida, USA. Swapping large fish - tropical gar, niger catfish, and oscars - for smaller fish - Lithodoras dorsalis, gulper catfish, black ear shark catfish, Aral barbel, Indo-Pacific tarpon, and Chinese hi fin loaches:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 5 barbels have done exceptionally well so far. As soon as they came, within minutes, they started feeding and didn't care what I offered to them - all was eagerly consumed, wolfed down really. Amazing greed and a matching digestive system. I feared they'd eat themselves to death. They took NLS pellets, Hikari sticks, koi pellets, etc., cut up silversides and glass minnows.

At first I had to feed the tank a lot because the 5x Aral barbels would leave little to nothing for the tarpon tank mates. Then I had to feed even more because both barbels and tarpons would feed like maniacs and leave little to nothing for other tank mates - Phalacronotus sp and Chinese Hi Fin sharks.

After a month of very heavy feeding, the barbels grew from 1.5"-2" to 6"-8". I didn't intend this, it just happened. I couldn't take it anymore, because Chinese Hi Fin sharks weren't feeding properly, so I had to transfer them into a neighboring 240 gal.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA