mata mata and ast

mrsrobertson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Rhode Island
aztecfred said:
Hey dude,

Mixing REPTILES from diffrent families and different locales is a bad idea.

Heres why: Each one has diffrent needs, water temp requirements, space requirements, foo requirements.

Each one carries bacteria and viruses that are generally specific to that animal. when housed together, which causes stress...they can shed some of those bacteria and viruses into the water. And the "other" reptile, not being from the same area or haveing the same immunities...cam pick it up.

And it can kill them.

Typical example is somebody keeping their burmese python with their boa constrictor.

BIG MISTAKE.

Boas transmit a disease called I.B.D., supposedly by mites biting them and going on to a new host and biting the new host. Thereby spreading the disease

I.B.D. kills.

But boas can be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they can harbor the virus for years, and look great and grow, all the while giving it to snakes kept in the cage with them.

Like pythons...who get I.B. D.. and DIE from it very VERY QUICKLY.

Red Eared Sliders transmit all kind of stuff to other turtles, and they live while the other turtles die.

So, bad idea to mix turtle species, esp ones from diffrent families entirely.

Aside form that...the snapper could easily end the matas life with one good bite. Not worth it.

Mata Matas are very cool. If you go on kingsnake.com and check the turtle classifeds you can occasionally see babies for sale. Nice ones. Babies are a gamlbe as they dont always thrive and eat. Best to get ones that have been in a collection for a little while and are 5-6 inches in length..they do better.

A.S.T. are awesome. Truly.

Best of luck hope, this helps,

Aztec Fred

P.S.

I.B.D. is also thought to be genetic in nature, they are studying it as we speak. All I know is...it is hella wicked disease.

Isn't this kind of how AIDS started. But AIDS started with monkeys..lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store