MBU puffer question.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
So my buddy recently got ide say about 4inch MBU puffer. He was asking me some questions but I really couldn't answer them since I don't own any, so I figured ide come and ask here.

As for feeding that small, what would you recommend feeding him, with him being small, since clams would be way to big?

2nd question would be how often? I see tons of mix feeding reviews everywhere?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my buddy recently got ide say about 4inch MBU puffer. He was asking me some questions but I really couldn't answer them since I don't own any, so I figured ide come and ask here.

As for feeding that small, what would you recommend feeding him, with him being small, since clams would be way to big?

2nd question would be how often? I see tons of mix feeding reviews everywhere?
I like Murphy
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/tetraodon-mbu-the-under-water-giant-puppy

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah I read his article it's good, it goes over for his puffer now unfortunately that he's really big and eats everything lol.. i guess I'll have him start with shrimp and maybe clams with half the shell off. Not much input out there with juvenile mbu
I would also feed small snails. May be able to get some free from a lfs.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Malayan trumpet snails would be good. You can breed those easily (try stopping them) and feed them on cooked musselmeat, which you can also feed the mbu on too.
My puffers used to love both and now my loaches do.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Malayan trumpet snails would be good. You can breed those easily (try stopping them) and feed them on cooked musselmeat, which you can also feed the mbu on too.
My puffers used to love both and now my loaches do.
So you suggest cooking the muscle meat? I always thought they liked raw, all though I never owned a puffer so I have zero clue about any of this lol should he buy the precooked muscles then just defrost them and put the snails with it? You wanna leave the snail shell on right?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I use the precooked shelled musselmeat as this contains less thiaminese and yes, snails with shells on, until he is big enough to start tackling cockles.

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
I am aware of the thiaminase (potential) problem.
I got my mbu in January of 2020. It was 3”
Today it’s about 24”
I feed it the discarded clams from the local fish market, frozen 16/20count shrimp and FW blue claw prawns
When it was smaller it got crayfish

CB7205CD-5BB0-43A7-9E43-16CF90063B01.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store