Mean little JD

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
Hi all --

To try and make this as quick as possible, I have a small 1.5" JD with a 1.75" GT and five 2.5" geos. The JD is bullying the GT and one of the geos; he is chasing them across the tank each time they get close. I saw yesterday the GT has a tear down the center of his tail fin; not sure if he caught in on something or this is from the JD.

All fish were added simultaneously to my tank the day before yesterday. Other than those 6, there is also a BN pleco who stays to himself and no one bothers him.

This is a 125 gallon. Many places to hide, lots of driftwood, many small plants.

Should I remove the JD before he does any "real" damage or are they still sorting out a pecking order?

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
I would rehome the aggressive JD and replace it with a more peaceful Vieja or Macaw cichlid. The GT’s tail was most likely bitten by the JD and more violence will occur if the JD is not removed.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As they grow, territorial aggression will only get worse. A 125 seems big now but it won’t be once the fish get some size to them.
I’d pick which one you want more and build the tank around that.

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
Loud and clear, thanks y'all. I love the look of the JD; I have an unoccupied 75 gallon I can throw it in -- will it do OK alone?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Loud and clear, thanks y'all. I love the look of the JD; I have an unoccupied 75 gallon I can throw it in -- will it do OK alone?
Most cichlids would like nothing more than to be the only cichlid around.
A 4 foot isn’t ideal for a jd, but it should do fine in there.
You can add some Buenos Aires tetras as dithers.

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
I don't have any intention of adding any cichlids with him, he's already proven to not play well with others and he's not even two inches! I am impressed by his ferocity.

I'd maybe consider some dithers, but even then I'm not sure if he's just going to attach them.

I just want to know if JD's are ok as a solo fish in a tank? Maybe with a pleco or something I already know he'll leave alone...?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No problems as a solo fish - mine never had problems with the BA tetra dithers (though he is not too belligerent).
They are a bit more skittish than other cichlids so the dithers help.

Reactions: tlindsey

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
Before my husband admitted he loved the gt, and before I fell for geos, I was going to just try a JD in this tank with a bunch of giant mollies. Maybe I'll just give it a go in the 75g.

Thanks everyone for your input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store