Merlion Blood Red Spring 2022

phamtommy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
mississauga
Here is the 11th week update.
I have added 3 row of Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 14% Dragon light in the canopy. It's stay on from 7am - 9pm. All fish are doing fine and don't seem to be stressed. Still only meal is gut loaded superworm.
Let see if more brushing will appear in the following weeks.

Reactions: stratos and Tony A.

phamtommy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
mississauga
Hi Everyone,

Please help! My arowana have been jumping and loosing its scales for the pass 3 weeks. It never jump in the pass. Currently the fish is 2 years since I got it. Please see the pictures below. Does it jump to shed scale so new one can grow?

20240411_131424.jpg

20240411_131406.jpg

20240411_131417.jpg

Reactions: stratos and Caveden

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Hi Everyone,

Please help! My arowana have been jumping and loosing its scales for the pass 3 weeks. It never jump in the pass. Currently the fish is 2 years since I got it. Please see the pictures below. Does it jump to shed scale so new one can grow?

View attachment 1539853

View attachment 1539854

View attachment 1539855
IME jumping in an arowana in a home aquarium is typically indicative of at least 1 out of 4 main things:
1) Food
- All arowana can be "trained" to jump for food but I doubt this is your problem. Additionally, they do naturally jump up to eat insects or other small critters above the water line in the wild but as this is an indoor aquarium I also doubt this is the issue. Just to be sure though you can cover the top of your tank with a towel or some other object to block any potential movements it may be seeing.​
2) Fear
- All arowana can jump out of water as an escape mechanism but they tend to only jump out of fear when young. I've rarely seen adult fish "jump" outside of "extreme" scenarios such as near 0 light conditions into immediate full bright lights. Has there been any new changes in it's environment in the past 3 weeks? This can be any new tankmates, a move in location of the aquarium, etc.. Typically if this is the reason the fish will mellow out as it gets adjusted to any new environments or simply kill the reason (if it's a fish). 3 weeks is fairly long though IME for an arowana to adjust to a new living arrangement.​
3) Water Conditions
- Similar to fear, arowana have been known to jump out of the water when water conditions are unfavorable. I've never seen these fish in the wild so I'm uncertain if this is a natural behavior to reach new river systems during raining seasons. However, when water quality and/or the aquarium footprint is inadequate it's not uncommon for all arowana species to jump. Do you know your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels for the past 3 weeks? Temperature could also be a reason but I doubt you wouldn't notice any major shifts.​
4) Illness
- Like many fish there are a variety of illnesses that can cause a fish to scratch itself or jump out of water. Your pictures do not scream out any signs of illness that I am familiar with at an initial glance so I am hesitant to declare it is sick atm.​
Regardless of the reason I would start keeping track of the time when the fish jumps to check for any patterns, get a secure lid and weigh it down as these fish are strong, and keep track of water quality daily to ensure there has not been any issues. If you have been feeding live food that could trasmit any internal parasites I would also strongly consider checking your arowana's stool. If you don't own a microscope and/or are unfamiliar with using one to check for internal fish parasites try and keep track of the quality of the poop (white and stringy = bad) & if the fish is losing weight.

Additionally I don't know of any fish species, especeially any fish in the Osteoglossidae family, that intentionally shed their scales; especially through the action of jumping out of water.

HTH

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store