Midas and RTM journey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would swap out some of the smaller rocks, with some larger/taller flat bottom boulders. Check out a landscaper yard, it can take some digging around but you should be able to find a few that will help break up the line of sight, so the two beasts aren't staring directly at each other all day. lol I like Java wood as well, it takes a VERY long time to presoak and sink, and a ton of water changes (in a Rubbermaid) before it can go in a tank, but offers some unique shapes not often found in Malaysian driftwood. I have posted about it in the past here on MFK. Just a couple thoughts.

Reactions: Matteus

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I would swap out some of the smaller rocks, with some larger/taller flat bottom boulders. Check out a landscaper yard, it can take some digging around but you should be able to find a few that will help break up the line of sight, so the two beasts aren't staring directly at each other all day. lol I like Java wood as well, it takes a VERY long time to presoak and sink, and a ton of water changes (in a Rubbermaid) before it can go in a tank, but offers some unique shapes not often found in Malaysian driftwood. I have posted about it in the past here on MFK. Just a couple thoughts.
Perfect! The type of response I was looking for haha... I'll havto check out some places soon and see what i can find! Thanks alot RD. RD.

Reactions: RD. and Matteus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries, good luck on the hunt. This is the old thread on Java wood. It's typically sold for reptiles and/or parrot use. Pisces most likely carries it - but the large cool shaped pieces are not cheap here in AB.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
2 days ago I moved a black drain pipe and peice of drift wood from the right side of the tank.
Almost instantly the midas started to dig and shake/shimmer away, going at it for hours.. the Mota didnt like this too much and comes over to check what the hell is going on... I now notice with the midas new territory hes created himself hes gaining alot of courage... the video below is one of the first encounters
A couple days later and hes still holding his spot strong, but now he slowly but surely is gaining more ground... defending himself when the mota rushes at him around the half way mark of the tank... if the midas goes over to the motas cave he doesnt fight back... he rushes back to his side almost acknowledging and respecting the motas privacy? Lol! but as soon as its past this one little boulder in the middle of the tank it's fair game and will stand up for himself... I'm actually pretty proud of the little guy.. he never starts a fight with any fish but now atleast defends himself... who knows where it goes from here... I would still like to keep both of these guys as long as I can.. they are both stunning cichlids with a ton of personality... will havto keep my eye on them though lol.
I added in some tiger barbs as dithers... i figured i would try it out.. hopeing but not expecting them to necessarily survive.... to my surprise night one went smoothly... the midas doesnt mind them at all... they actually swim circles around him.. the jack basically the same thing, but shes also been an amazing tank boss... shes actually been defending the midas' territory for him at times... or so it seems lol (shell flare at the mota and push him back to his cave when he gets close to the midas' spot) and doesnt mind the barbs either.
Bundy the mota on the other hand cant stand these little ****s.. they swim around him... mess with his plants and annoy the living hell out of him... but they are much too fast for him to catch (so far) they've also split up alot of tension between the 2 big boys and alot of the time will be hanging out together stareing at these little pests haha..

Sorry for the bad weighting and long post... just thought it was worth sharing. Cheers!

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
2 days ago I moved a black drain pipe and peice of drift wood from the right side of the tank.
Almost instantly the midas started to dig and shake/shimmer away, going at it for hours.. the Mota didnt like this too much and comes over to check what the hell is going on... I now notice with the midas new territory hes created himself hes gaining alot of courage... the video below is one of the first encounters
A couple days later and hes still holding his spot strong, but now he slowly but surely is gaining more ground... defending himself when the mota rushes at him around the half way mark of the tank... if the midas goes over to the motas cave he doesnt fight back... he rushes back to his side almost acknowledging and respecting the motas privacy? Lol! but as soon as its past this one little boulder in the middle of the tank it's fair game and will stand up for himself... I'm actually pretty proud of the little guy.. he never starts a fight with any fish but now atleast defends himself... who knows where it goes from here... I would still like to keep both of these guys as long as I can.. they are both stunning cichlids with a ton of personality... will havto keep my eye on them though lol.
I added in some tiger barbs as dithers... i figured i would try it out.. hopeing but not expecting them to necessarily survive.... to my surprise night one went smoothly... the midas doesnt mind them at all... they actually swim circles around him.. the jack basically the same thing, but shes also been an amazing tank boss... shes actually been defending the midas' territory for him at times... or so it seems lol (shell flare at the mota and push him back to his cave when he gets close to the midas' spot) and doesnt mind the barbs either.
Bundy the mota on the other hand cant stand these little ****s.. they swim around him... mess with his plants and annoy the living hell out of him... but they are much too fast for him to catch (so far) they've also split up alot of tension between the 2 big boys and alot of the time will be hanging out together stareing at these little pests haha..

Sorry for the bad weighting and long post... just thought it was worth sharing. Cheers!
It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out. I’m betting on the mota being tank boss in the future. What’s the growth rate like on him?

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out. I’m betting on the mota being tank boss in the future. What’s the growth rate like on him?
Growth on the mota is outstanding! The midas started larger than the mota... now its switched up.
The mota was aggressive and took half the tank over to himself within the first week.. but as I stated the past few days hes become more of a show off and the midas is constantly backing him down now... even on his side of the tank!
Had then for 2 months now
Mota 5-7 / 7.5 inches
Midas 5.5-7 inches
Mota is thick too and has a nasty set of teeth already but the midas is a bull

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
If you run out of dithers I might have some giant danios for you in a couple weeks. They are tanks and never stop moving. I am currently using them to raise my bio load in some seasoned media for a new tank set up. Was going to keep them in the loach tank but if they can keep your guys alive that would be sweet ??

Reactions: Nilsafeller
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store