Mini marbled Motori vs hystrix

Temjin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Mini marbled Motoro vs Hystrix. Which would you prefer and why? I have the option to buy either.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Would LOVE to hear the argument for Hystrix over mini Marbles...... I personally don't think there's a more desirable species of any ray to keep then Marbles period.

Here's the issue...... The Stingray world is into fads BIG TIME.....Lets discuss the last time ANYONE saw a Marble for sale that wasn't a "mini"???? They are ALL "mini" these days. People buy, breed - sell the pups then the "proven breeders" in half the time it takes me to raise a female to the point I believe they are mature. Ever wonder why some people have such small litters while others crank them out a half dozen at a time?

It's a joke. OR is it? Do the people selling them even know? How about the buyers?

bobtheslob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
New Jersey
Hystrix rays will probably stay smaller than mini marbles and if you ever plan on breeding them, hystrix pups will sell for about twice as much. I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference, but if I were in your shoes, I would get the hystrix.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Would LOVE to hear the argument for Hystrix over mini Marbles...... I personally don't think there's a more desirable species of any ray to keep then Marbles period.

Here's the issue...... The Stingray world is into fads BIG TIME.....Lets discuss the last time ANYONE saw a Marble for sale that wasn't a "mini"???? They are ALL "mini" these days. People buy, breed - sell the pups then the "proven breeders" in half the time it takes me to raise a female to the point I believe they are mature. Ever wonder why some people have such small litters while others crank them out a half dozen at a time?

It's a joke. OR is it? Do the people selling them even know? How about the buyers?
Agreed. In another year or 2, albino pearls should be 3/$1. Lol. When I first started keeping rays they were like $8000 a piece and hard to find.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hystrix rays will probably stay smaller than mini marbles and if you ever plan on breeding them, hystrix pups will sell for about twice as much. I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference, but if I were in your shoes, I would get the hystrix.
How long have you been working with the species in your avatar? Curious size of the breeders?

You're really getting $600-700/ pup???

bobtheslob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
New Jersey
How long have you been working with the species in your avatar? Curious size of the breeders?

You're really getting $600-700/ pup???
I had a pair during high school but sold them around two years ago when I left for college. The female maxed out at a foot and the male maxed out around 9 inches. I sold the pups for 550 each more or less however I sold some to a lfs that resold them for 800 each. I had a lot of luck breeding them, and during the few years I had them they produced 17 pups. Great rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store