Moving to brackish

dhardwick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
IN
Looking for some input I have two archers I'm setting up a brackish tank for them wondering if it would better to set it up brackish and acclimate them to it or just slowly convert the tank and archers at the same time

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
I can't see any reasons for doing it separately for the tank and for the fish.

Recommendations (arguable) for the pace of saltifying are pretty much the same for the tank bacteria and for the fish, so I'd just do it in one tank...
Would do and have done, that is.
Acclimating fish in a separate tank makes sense if you already have an established brackish tank and you want to introduce fish that come from a different level of salinity.

Doing it slowly makes a lot of sense, in any case.
Good luck!

dhardwick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
IN
Any suggestions on how much salt to add and over how much time would appreciate any suggestions

rup_pilot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I had a brackish tank in the past. I had monos and a Colombian shark. I started then in freshwater as this is how I bought them. After a few months, I started adding 10 gallons of saltwater to the 75 during the weekly water changes until I hit around 1.014. This is the level I maintained in the tank and they did very well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
I would rely on Mr Monks: http://brackishfaq.webspace.virginmedia.com/Projects/FAQ/3c.html

So if your fish are Toxotes jaculatrix or T. chatareus, the recommended salinity is SG 1.005-1.010.
If you've got T microlepis, the aim should be lower, at 1,005 max.

I had T. chatareus and they seemed to be happy at 1,006-1,008. They grew up huge, about a foot in length.

Reactions: Fish rescue

dhardwick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
IN
Thanks guys that helps alot I'll probably be getting this project going with in the next couple of weeks

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
definitely .016 is way to much salt for all brackish fsih
Lol, even back when this thread was current...i.e. eleven years ago...that was still incorrect. Plenty of the fish that we consider as brackish-water species can live in 100% seawater, and/or 100% fresh, for extended periods. And the nature of brackish environments means that virtually all brackish species will be very adaptable to widely varying degrees of salinity. I'd probably trust the guys who actually have successfully kept archers to answer the question here.

Never...ever...speak in absolutes. :)

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store