My first dip with dorado, sold as brassie by Rapps, thought to be frankie

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
THE END

The dorado had been doing very well in the 4500 gal. I left it there. The worst, it would chase the two VATF a bit and once I saw a deep, long and thin gash in its side, probably from the VATF, but most of the time it was quite tolerable.

Intriguingly, it started to take floating pellets with much gusto recently, in the past couple of months, having had preferred thawed fish in the prior year or so.

Then I had to kill it myself... as a consequence of our venture applying for licenses to exhibit prohibited and conditional fish species and the ensuing inspections by the Florida Wildlife Commission. (Will be covered in a separate thread. Please, don't ask any questions in this thread.)

It reached about 2 feet, about 22" I'd say.

Top last column.

100_8618.JPG100_8621.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: EntoStentor

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sad to see that you had to put these beautiful fish down. Where is the other thread on this?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The arrival of 10 golden dorado, about 2", alleged by Rod of PF as brassi, because that's the one that's farmed in SA:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The Phoenix barbs shoal together with golden dorado and the latter nip their tails until almost none left. I doubt this is predatory nipping because everyone is fed generously. I think this is a hierarchical dominance by the dorado over the barbs.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Have things changed down south???? I'm under the impression that Frankies are the farm raised ones. Brassies I'm told are from wayyyy south and are quota'd species.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
DB junkie DB junkie I don't know if Rodrigo was right... but at the face value: when I was buying these and asked him about the species ID, he replied that only brassis are farmed because they grow bigger (and faster?) and hence no one farms frankies and Rod gets his from a farm. What's your opinion?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My opinion is people in the industry selling fish should make it a priority to KNOW what they have, but you know what's easier and faster and comes with less liability? Just passing the name of the fish along. "Welp - that's what they said. I dunno...... "

I never worried about this with the Dorado I got from Wes. But that was the Dorado that sparked the interest to write the sticky here on MFK. I helped Rob with it. Sounds to me like the info you're being told is contradicting the sticky here on MFK. Guess at this point trust the fish geeks or the flipper..... End of the day I'm assuming they'll let you know what they are.... I always thought it was the demeanor of the 2 species that was so important to us as they look VERY similar but seems to me with the expereinces I've had with them there's a night and day difference between the 2.

• Love

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
DB junkie DB junkie Much appreciate your candid and helpful post. I forgot there was an authoritative stickie. I will reread it. Appreciate the reminder. Have you described or written anywhere about the "night and day" difference you've come to experience later, I assume after the stickie had been written? Or is it one and the same?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
DB junkie DB junkie Much appreciate your candid and helpful post. I forgot there was an authoritative stickie. I will reread it. Appreciate the reminder. Have you described or written anywhere about the "night and day" difference you've come to experience later, I assume after the stickie had been written? Or is it one and the same?
I'll do some digging this evening..... I tried a few times to cohab Frankies, and tried several different scenarios trying to make it work.... ONLY way I ever got it to work was shoe horning them in a small tank. Same group would go from synchronized swimming in a 40 breeder to chasing eachother so fast in circles that the sand would tornado when dropped in a 6x2x2. Back to 40 to heal up, back to shredded overnight when 180 was attempted again. Frankies also hated tank mates. Never had an issue with Brassies and tank mates of ANY kind that I ever tried.

The current group of 3 I have live with a black aro, a Hillari Dorado and a Brycon. Never had any kind of issue and the 2 silver fish with them are 1/3 to 1/2 their size.

Ken is the only one that comes to mind that also had a successful cohab but I think his also were sourced through Wes......

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store