My new 1258 Gallon Caiman Tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I kinda figured the head didn't match the tail...
Not to mention even if it was a deer's body the head could not be attached to that body,given how far apart they are.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm impressed....it's nice to have a construction background when you like to keep animals. What kind of Caiman are you getting? I have always been a sucker for Paleosuchus....both species. The demon-red eyes just make them look soooooo bad-***

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Loving the Curvier's.....DEM RED EYEZ!!!!! Glad to see responsible keepers able to provide ample space for crocodilians. I had a Spectacled caiman and 2 different American Alligators, but I only kept them for a few years before passing them on, I simply didn't have enough space - and they were only females!!! Do you know the sex of yours? Males top out at 4.5 feet and if you get a female over 3.5 feet it's considered uncommon. Always wanted a pair of palpebrosus, now I'm jealous :(. No, but seriously, great job, take care of them and make sure you keep high-powered UVB lights.....most captive Caimans die from improper UVB lighting.
brynjar brynjar

brynjar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2015
I onlu keep one though, and no i don't know the sex yet. Care to take a guess? kloak1.jpg sexing1.jpg sexing2.jpg:)
(edit: these pics are almost a year old and were not taken just for this thread)

Yes i know, theyre small :) I didn't knew about deaths from lack of UVB, most pages state the usual "nocturnal, burrower, doesn't need it", i run a single 5.0 UVB bulb over his spot just because it seems right, i think for this species in the wild most if not all vitamins and minerals comes from the food so a varied diet must be a key to make them thrive and whole feeding animals must play a big part.

The most common issues i've read about is mostly regarding people stressing them out by overhandling them, force feeding them or exposing them too much (they're very shy).

Any tips, links you can forward me too regarding some serious habitat builds or any good care sites you'd reccomend?

I'll upload some pics of my setup with details soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I onlu keep one though, and no i don't know the sex yet. Care to take a guess? View attachment 1161346 View attachment 1161348 View attachment 1161347:)
(edit: these pics are almost a year old and were not taken just for this thread)

Yes i know, theyre small :) I didn't knew about deaths from lack of UVB, most pages state the usual "nocturnal, burrower, doesn't need it", i run a single 5.0 UVB bulb over his spot just because it seems right, i think for this species in the wild most if not all vitamins and minerals comes from the food so a varied diet must be a key to make them thrive and whole feeding animals must play a big part.

The most common issues i've read about is mostly regarding people stressing them out by overhandling them, force feeding them or exposing them too much (they're very shy).

Any tips, links you can forward me too regarding some serious habitat builds or any good care sites you'd reccomend?

I'll upload some pics of my setup with details soon
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/How-to-Build-a-Caiman-Cage/

Reactions: twcp

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
brynjar brynjar the use of UVB light in nocturnal animals has risen much debate in the past few years, mainly because we have found several animals we thought to be nocturnal are actually crepuscular (foraging dusk to dawn), therefore they probably need the UVB to process D3, which allows for calcium absorbtion. Nocturnal animals don't NEED it, but it has shown in studies that they DO benefit from it and it's not harmful of course, the issue with 5.0 UVB is that it only reaches about 12-20 inches from the light, while your 10.0 does 24-30 inches. Remember, in the wild we can see every crocodilian species during the day, they are just more active at night. Opportunistic feeders will simply be active when hunting is good and food is abundant, unless daytime temps. are too harsh.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice it in the previous pix, but they aren't Curvier's, they are actually Paleosuchus trigonatus, the Smooth-Fronted Caiman. Males grow to 5.5 feet, females to 4.5 feet. Not a major issue, but I hope they weren't sold to you as Curvier's Dwarfs, as Curvier's generally about $100 MORE. I can't tell the sex, but it has a very fat tail for a juvenile, so my guess is male, but you won't know w/out probing.

As far as habitats, yours looks spot-on, just consider if it will need to be renovated with add-ons and whatnots for a 5.5 footer or even more so if you decide to get a pair and breed

Cheers, Mate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store