My new catfish.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Seems to be getting along quite well now. For some reason as of the last 2 days. It has become a bit more active at night compared to daytime.
Great pic kno4te! And thanks for sharing your observations, keep that info. coming.

Little guy landed this afternoon. Doing fine right now. Added some salt after I did a 50% water change from last night. Swam for abit. Went to the larger one and swimming together for a while.

Definitely like the first but it can change as these are acting and doing things not as planned. Will see planning to feed them both tomorrow. That should be interesting.

Trying the massivore again tomorrow.
Sorry to hear they're not acting like you expected, do you think anythings wrong? Or are you just referring to the change in their activity level and time of day?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you koltsixx koltsixx . Sorry for the late reply. Got kids and try to sleep during the early morning. Just a guess from what info I have gathered from them. Which isn't much at all. The major thing I got was they are rarely imported. Likely not too many have observed in a home aquarium setting. Likely cause we will not be able to replicate anything close to Mother Nature. For all I know this is normal for them.

They are definitely built for active swimming. They sort of behave more like driftwood cats. Meaning they have periods of rest and laying around. Then become active at night. I have a feeling they lay around in current or behind larger fish in current and take any leftover food/refuse. I think this is some of that too. This is what's happening in my tank now. I don't think it's anything wrong.

I wonder what ur Nodosus does koltsixx koltsixx when it's night and the lights are out?

When active they are moving around. They two like each other and swim together. Seem to swim up and down the glass with same side as my powerhead.

Gonna see what happens if I move the powerhead down or aim it toward the bottom at them. See what they do.

Gonna try some plants on the side of the powerhead. Gonna remove some driftwood for more flatter pieces.

No issues with tankmates. Polypterus are fine. Acting normal. The cats don't seem to be bothered by them at all.

Will likely look into build a bigger a tank down the road. The other thing is bigger space maybe needed. Will see.

To be continued.......

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Quick up close pics of the smaller Nodosus. So far the smaller has eaten some massivore. The larger one has ignored. Will see what happens when the lights go out. IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0131.JPG
Last pic to show what it'll look when all grown up.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Two peas in a pod. Groups will definitely be best for these fish. IMG_0132.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Little 3 incher has taken some bloodworms without issue. It basically manhandled a frozen block of it. It began to spin and reminded the way some of the smaller cats that burrow into dead carcas or flesh. To get chunks out. Sight to see.

It even attacked another block the larger 8incher had. Got some boldness when hungry.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So far has 6 whiskers. 2 are on its side facing outward and 4 are on the bottom jaw going for food on the ground. Built for cruising the bottom and picking up left overs.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So far tilapia is a favorite for both sized Nodosus. You can see the bulge. IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0153.JPG

Won't be feeding for several days. The polys have the left overs and everyone is sharing and playing nice. For sure, no aggressive tankmates at all.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Safety in numbers. Little cat always seeks out the larger fish. After 80% wc. IMG_0170.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
One thing about feeding I've noticed. They have large eyes but they don't seem too see much around them. I've dropped food all around them. Not a thing. Only when it has a smell too it then like a typical cat then it gets active.

I know it lives in muddy water but would expect some smaller eyes or something. Not sure if this is also effecting koltsixx koltsixx 's nodosus. Cats whiskers with pH receptors....Maybe look at it in a different pov. Too much thinking out loud. Back to lurking.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So been doing this for some time now. More noticeable with the smaller Nodosus. Not so much with the larger one as it's flat bottom just allows it to sit there.

IMG_0186.JPG

They seem perfectly fine tipped over. Then get active continue on like nothing happened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store