My personal revision and guide of Polypterus delhezi keeping.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
76.jpg77.jpg

(Wild F1 delhezi with different strains I bred)

Not many people take care about strains of delhezi but they show dramatic differances based on their strains.

Especially the wild fish certainly have differences of their genetics and how the offsprings look like but you have to select good fish for parents only by your experience because there is no exporter or collecter take care about that when they sale.
(Not every fish look good produce good offsprings)

This kind of things make breeders harder to do but once they get over this, they will make their own strain what they want and make different results by the skills of breeders.

This is the reason why I'm still keeping, breeding and researching about delhezi after many years of keeping and breeding and I'm sure this will be the Charming-point for other keepers and breeders too.

78.jpg

Epilog.

I've been talking about Polypterus delhezi, the species make me get into Bichirs.

Hope you like this thread and also a one of the most amazing species of all, Polypterus delhezi.

Thanks

Jung.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Sorry that i had to cut the full draft in to a small piece and upload because the error keep showing up.

I have no idea why but it seems the system banning the word "Select" somehow and make an error.

Hope it get fixed shortly because i have several more threads already wrote on Korean and didn't translate yet.

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello giseok jung,
First this is a very helpful and interesting thread! Thank you for your detailed post!
But i have a question about feeding routine.
My dels are now about 1 year old (i got them in 09/22 as babys) and are about 8-9“.
The biggest one has maybe 10“.
I fed them almost every day but now i think it‘s ok to feed every second day so they wont get to fat.
Maybe you can help me a bit, thx!

Reactions: giseok jung

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Hello giseok jung,
First this is a very helpful and interesting thread! Thank you for your detailed post!
But i have a question about feeding routine.
My dels are now about 1 year old (i got them in 09/22 as babys) and are about 8-9“.
The biggest one has maybe 10“.
I fed them almost every day but now i think it‘s ok to feed every second day so they wont get to fat.
Maybe you can help me a bit, thx!
Hello, most of baby bichirs you can find from the shop is about 3~6 months old specimens.
So i assume yours are about 1 years old now.

It's still bit too young and well-growing age at that pioriods, so i would check their growth and change feeding routines to once in every second days when their growth become slow.
(Mine usually grow slower since around 1.5~2 years old)

Reactions: Gerrit0

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Ok thank you!
So for the Moment i will keep going with feeding 1x per day.
1x per week without feeding.
I was just confused because they are growing so fast i thought i fed them to much.
The biggest one is almost 25cm long now!

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Ok thank you!
So for the Moment i will keep going with feeding 1x per day.
1x per week without feeding.
I was just confused because they are growing so fast i thought i fed them to much.
The biggest one is almost 25cm long now!
If you feed them too much, they will become fat, not grow faster. The fastest grown one of mine reach 35cm in 1 year from 7cm.

Reactions: Gerrit0

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Thanks for your interesting thread which is very informative and easy to understand. After reading this I want to keep Polypterus delhezi. I think they are terrific. However, before I ever saw a Polypterus I chose Clown Loaches. My Clown Loaches will be 30 years old next January and I do not regret choosing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store