My Silver Dollar Sp's

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I will say my experience with their development is not sufficient to give me certainty. So these are GUESSES, just for myself:

- I would almost bet that the background fish, with its large, relatively straight and very red anal fin is a young female.
- Regarding the foreground fish - I am not certain. I could imagine that in a few months, a bilobal anal fin of a male may come out of that, the new lobe starting at about where the red-white meet. But I could also see how a less colorful female fin could result from that. Thus, I don't have enough experience with how they change over time to be sure.

It would be very nice if you could document these developmental changes in your fish!
They look beautiful!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I will say my experience with their development is not sufficient to give me certainty. So these are GUESSES, just for myself:

- I would almost bet that the background fish, with its large, relatively straight and very red anal fin is a young female.
- Regarding the foreground fish - I am not certain. I could imagine that in a few months, a bilobal anal fin of a male may come out of that, the new lobe starting at about where the red-white meet. But I could also see how a less colorful female fin could result from that. Thus, I don't have enough experience with how they change over time to be sure.

It would be very nice if you could document these developmental changes in your fish!
They look beautiful!
Thanks, I will do my best to track their progress.

Reactions: Matteus

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I swapped lights around in the fish so I needed to remove the Crypt Wendetii Bronze from the 120g. I have a bit of a protected area in the back of the 260g that is just right for placing them. The plants are rooted into a brick of organic potting soil wrapped in fiberglass window screen so there is not waiting period for roots to establish. The H. Liberifer in the 120g wasn't to keen on them being in his tank so he had already pruned off all the taller leaves. I haven't seen any damage since moving them into the Redhook's territory. Pic's to follow.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
PXL_20211117_230128824.jpgPXL_20211117_230117353.jpg

Reactions: dr exum

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
What is going on with this Redhook? The bumb on the caudal fin is raised on one side, looks bluish, and their looks like blood in the fin.
I have caught all 6 and am doing a 1hr paraguard dip. I'm out of meth blue.PXL_20211122_213802742~2.jpgPXL_20211122_212616741~2.jpgPXL_20211122_213241541~2.jpgPXL_20211122_213924843~2.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
#3 has a bent lower on it's caudal!?PXL_20211122_211949594~2.jpg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Don't know what is going on. However, I believe the bluish thing is NOT related to either the issue on the hook, nor necessarily related to the bloody capillaries on the anal fin.
- I would refer to the bluish thing as a "cyst" and mention that I have seen both white, and reddish "cysts' in fish, but not this gray/blue type. How important the color is, I don't know. I do note that is fairly large, larger than the type of white things sometimes referred to as 'lympocystis' (under the understanding that the later is just a general term, not necessarily always corresponding the the same type of growths). Whether this is contagious or not, I also don't know, but people consider lymphocystis as highly contagious, even if actually poorly understood in many cases (IMO, anyway)/

- Regarding the hook - I have seen similar things before, for instance in the anal or dorsal fins of angels. It is possible that several rays were broken and the repair accomplished includes the kink around broken rays. I don't know for sure, but that is my believe. This one is certainly not contagious and will not affect the fish too much, and should just be seen as an individual fish feature.

- Regarding the bloody capillaries - I would not worry about that. I have seen them before in dollars' anal fins and don't seem to be an issue. I have seen things like that come and go in my fish.

Other that the cyst and the hook, are the fish (particularly this one) acting normal?
Good luck. Please keep us abreast of things you learn through this.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Don't know what is going on. However, I believe the bluish thing is NOT related to either the issue on the hook, nor necessarily related to the bloody capillaries on the anal fin.
- I would refer to the bluish thing as a "cyst" and mention that I have seen both white, and reddish "cysts' in fish, but not this gray/blue type. How important the color is, I don't know. I do note that is fairly large, larger than the type of white things sometimes referred to as 'lympocystis' (under the understanding that the later is just a general term, not necessarily always corresponding the the same type of growths). Whether this is contagious or not, I also don't know, but people consider lymphocystis as highly contagious, even if actually poorly understood in many cases (IMO, anyway)/

- Regarding the hook - I have seen similar things before, for instance in the anal or dorsal fins of angels. It is possible that several rays were broken and the repair accomplished includes the kink around broken rays. I don't know for sure, but that is my believe. This one is certainly not contagious and will not affect the fish too much, and should just be seen as an individual fish feature.

- Regarding the bloody capillaries - I would not worry about that. I have seen them before in dollars' anal fins and don't seem to be an issue. I have seen things like that come and go in my fish.

Other that the cyst and the hook, are the fish (particularly this one) acting normal?
Good luck. Please keep us abreast of things you learn through this.
Yes, all act normal otherwise. The bump/cyst is hard to the touch. I will just keep an eye on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store