My stingray is dying

Feb 10, 2021
7F5C0E94-CDAD-463C-8F85-5BDC96D5FD16.jpegDA66B37A-7F75-420B-AFE5-E4284DC39664.jpeg
I have multiple stingrays and they never react to water changes like this, I do 50% water changes on my 800L tank 2 times a week and yesterday after water change my stingray started slamming everywhere and flipping upside down and now he is curling, anything I can do to save him, he is a new stingray I got from a friend.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
View attachment 1525804View attachment 1525805
I have multiple stingrays and they never react to water changes like this, I do 50% water changes on my 800L tank 2 times a week and yesterday after water change my stingray started slamming everywhere and flipping upside down and now he is curling, anything I can do to save him, he is a new stingray I got from a friend.
Hmm did u dechlorinate the water? Test the water from the tap is all I can say as well as test the water parameters and if u didnt add dechlorinator

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Could any chemicals have gotten into the water? Can you test params? Elasmobranches are very sensitive to toxins, including nitrate.
kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I am myself I’m not too sure. I don’t keep rays myself but this has occurred with stingray keepers and I don’t think that any conclusion has been shared as a cause for the death curl. Others have o tried salt and reduce stress. Otherwise it’s just supportive measures. Making sure there’s some current in the tack to increase oxygen circulation. Caution with heavy current flow. See Gpdriftwood Gpdriftwood DB junkie DB junkie think of this.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
How long have u had it since u got it from your friend and has it been eating well? Do you keep similar water parameters as the person u got it from and is the tank similar size to its last home? I have had a few mysterious deaths of new rays over the years with no verifiable cause. These are all things to consider in trying to figure out why its unhappy. I would definitely check your parameters and try to match them to what the ray was used to as quickly as possible, temperature as well. Unfortunately it seems to me from past experiences that occasionally some fish just overly stress from a move and can't recover. I hope this is not the case for u and give best wishes for sure. And hope fully as deadeye stated, nothing harmful was in the water during the change.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Did you clean the filter when you changed the water?

If so it's possible you killed the biological bacteria causing an ammonia/nitrite spike.

My recommendation would be another water change with prime possibly adding something like quick start possibly a little bit of salt to the system turn the lights out and cross your fingers don't bother the stingray.

Good aeration is also important.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Did you clean the filter when you changed the water?

If so it's possible you killed the biological bacteria causing an ammonia/nitrite spike.

My recommendation would be another water change with prime possibly adding something like quick start possibly a little bit of salt to the system turn the lights out and cross your fingers don't bother the stingray.

Good aeration is also important.

It's also quite possible those peacock bass have been picking on him...

Feb 10, 2021
Could any chemicals have gotten into the water? Can you test params? Elasmobranches are very sensitive to toxins, including nitrate.
kno4te kno4te
The water was completely normal, all tankmates are still well but the ray has passed away possibly just from shipping stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store